PC build

Glutton

Solid State Member
So, I've got a pretty decent PC build, except for the motherboard itself and a mediocre PSU.
I've recently decided to upgrade and wanted to ask if any of these components are incompatible with each other and if you think I should change any of my plans.
So, my original build is a dated model of the XPS 8300 computer(Google it if you want to know what it looks like), meaning it has a bit weird loking case, so I'm afraid some of the stuff won't fit in.
Original build: AMD Radeon HD 6770
Quad core 2nd generation i5 2.9 Ghz CPU (Intel i5-2310)
4 Gb RAM
460 W PSU
Not sure about the motherboard, but I think it has 2
PCI 1.0 x1 but I am looking for at least a pci 2.0 x8 to
fully utilize the new GPU I want.
The stuff I want to add: AMD Radeon HD 7950
650 W Inter-Tech Energon EPS-650 2.2 ATX
Asus P8Z77-V LX PCIe 3, LGA1155 motherboard.

So, is there anything that makes me unable to make these changes and is there anything you would advise me to do about this? Anything I should change or is this very good?

(I will be using this for gaming, everything from starcraft 2 to crysis 3, so I want a very capable system)

I would get a 660ti instead, and that motherboard wont fit in the case.
If this the case that you have.

dell_xps_8300_788982_g3.jpg

Since you don't have an OCable chip there isn't a reason to get a new motherboard. The 16x slot on your boad is 2.0. More than enough for any single chip card besides the Titan.

I also would not get that PSU. Get a quality brand, Seasonic, Corsair TX, Antec.

I did suspect that the motherboard wouldn't fit, that's really the sole reason why I posted this.
But why would I rather get the 660 ti?
Also, are you really sure I don't need a new motherboard? (Is it even possible with this case?)
Last one, I will likely not buy a motherboard and I will most likely buy the 700W Corsair GS700 2013 PSU. AMD 7950 will not be changed though. Is there anything else? Thank you for your help.

Last edited:
Don't know about motherboards but 95% of the time PP says something won't work or Fit it won't. And OCable means overclockable which means boosting a components performance.
And he said you'd rather a 660Ti because NVIDIA cards are engineered better and stuff etc. I don't know enough to explain why but, I'm sure PP will elaborate more on that issue if needed. Given though that a 660Ti is a little more expensive, and you get 2GB instead of a 3GB 7950 you won't be disappointed.

But definitely go with a Corsair/Seasonic PSU.

Last edited:
Better drivers and similar performance, cooler running card.

Yes you don't need a new motherboard. Unless you want to SLI/Crossfire on an mATX board you will need a new case and a second card. The only reason to get a Z77 board is so you can OC your CPU. You don't have a K class CPU so you can't OC your CPU making the need for a new board moot. The PCI-E 2.0 16x slot on your motherboard is more than plenty for any card you can put in there.
The only other reason you should need a new board besides dual GPU support is if you plan to upgrade to a better CPU like a 3570k or something like that. Your current CPU is fine though.

You will still need a new PSU for a new graphics card. For that I recommend the brands I mentioned in my previous post due to the fact that you want a quality PSU when you start using more power. (GPU upgrade)

A regular mATX board will fit in your case but you might have problems with the front panel (power switch, LEDs in the front) fitting up.

Better drivers and similar performance, cooler running card.

Yes you don't need a new motherboard. Unless you want to SLI/Crossfire on an mATX board you will need a new case and a second card. The only reason to get a Z77 board is so you can OC your CPU. You don't have a K class CPU so you can't OC your CPU making the need for a new board moot. The PCI-E 2.0 16x slot on your motherboard is more than plenty for any card you can put in there.
The only other reason you should need a new board besides dual GPU support is if you plan to upgrade to a better CPU like a 3570k or something like that. Your current CPU is fine though.

You will still need a new PSU for a new graphics card. For that I recommend the brands I mentioned in my previous post due to the fact that you want a quality PSU when you start using more power. (GPU upgrade)

A regular mATX board will fit in your case but you might have problems with the front panel (power switch, LEDs in the front) fitting up.
I will likely not buy a motherboard and I will most likely buy the 700W Corsair GS700 2013 PSU. AMD 7950 will not be changed though. Is there anything else? Thank you for your help.
Also, I said I wanted to buy the AMD 7950 which is, I think, their second best card?

Don't know about motherboards but 95% of the time PP says something won't work or Fit it won't. And OCable means overclockable which means boosting a components performance.
And he said you'd rather a 660Ti because NVIDIA cards are engineered better and stuff etc. I don't know enough to explain why but, I'm sure PP will elaborate more on that issue if needed. Given though that a 660Ti is a little more expensive, and you get 2GB instead of a 3GB 7950 you won't be disappointed.

But definitely go with a Corsair/Seasonic PSU.
Techjerk50 (nice name) I said in my post that I already have a 6770 and my 6770 can run bf3 on ultra with frame stutter or on high with perfecly fine frames.
Also, a 660ti is not "much, much better" than the 7950 I said I was going to buy. And for the last part, I live in Iceland, where the 660ti just happens to be less expensive than the 7950. (Still not sure which I should buy, though I am kind of an AMD fanboy...)

Last edited:
I will likely not buy a motherboard and I will most likely buy the 700W Corsair GS700 2013 PSU. AMD 7950 will not be changed though. Is there anything else? Thank you for your help.
Also, I said I wanted to buy the AMD 7950 which is, I think, their second best card?
Third best, 7970 + 7990. If you're going to buy a new PSU buy a TX650W Corsair Enthusiast. GPU is obviously your choice. 7950 isn't bad but I'd rather an NVIDIA card. I've read several posts on several Forums about AMD GPU's playing up or despite AMD>NVIDIA price range NVIDIA cards perform better etc, but whatever.

And thanks I think so to, hence why I chose it :p. I don't doubt your 6770 can actually run BF3 but I guarantee "Frame stutter" is a huge understatement. And I know a 660Ti isn't "much much" better than a 7950. They're reasonably equal apart from the differences stated above.

Last edited:
I think the case is closed, I will buy a 7950 and a 700W Corsair GS700 2013 (There is only one corsair TX series in Iceland and it's ridiculously overpriced) Any other comments? You've both been a lot of help and I thank you for that.

Well there is one comment I'd like to make at this point but I don't fancy an infract.
And are you talking about your computer case or the discussion on the parts you're going to use?

Didn't know you was from Iceland, didn't read profile. Nevertheless I don't know where you're going to be buying your parts from but I'm sure there can't be one Corsair TX/Enthusiast PSU in the whole of Iceland. Shop around.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom