May build a new computer

Hi everyone D:
I currently use a 2000 year old Intel Pentium based laptop and I'm getting bored of having to wait 10 years to be able to check Facebook. I probably know more about how toilets work than computers, hence why I've joined up here. I'll need everything besides an Operating System and a Monitor. I don't really want to spend much more than £650 (British Pounds) which is like $990 USD and like 750 Euros for those of you who are from a country that uses Euros. But if push came to shove I may move a little. It depends if a total comes to like £665 and that extra £15 will make a huge difference in the computers performance. So if anyone would be kind enough to idk build me a computer and tell me the links so I can go check them out and build me a new pc that would be awesome.

I will be using the computer for occasional social networking and just general internet browsing, but I always seem to have like 15 Google Chrome tabs open and I don't want any lagg. I sometimes play a couple games like the odd MMORPG like games from Ijji and AeriaGames and Jagex, and sometimes some FPS games like downloaded Halo and Counter Strike. So I'd rather have a good all-rounded computer rather than just having a fairly ok computer and a good graphics card. Idk what it's called because I've never built my own computer before but I use WiFi Wireless instead of connected cable so whatever the device is that manufacturers put into their computers to let the user go on WiFi I need one please. I often do a lot of work at night so having a reasonably quiet computer will be nice.

Thanks gaiz D:

CPU:
Intel Core i5 3330 Ivy Bridge Processor - BX80637I53330 - Scan.co.uk

Motherboard:
MSI B75A-G41 Motherboard Socket 1155 Intel B75 - Scan.co.uk

RAM:
Corsair Memory XMS3 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz CAS 9 Dual Channel Desktop - CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 - Scan.co.uk

GPU:
EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti NVIDIA Graphics Card - 1GB - 01G-P4-3650-KR - Scan.co.uk

PSU:
Corsair CP-9020059-UK CXM Builder series 500W Power Supply (PSU) - Scan.co.uk

SSD:
Corsair 120GB Neutron Series GTX SSD - Solid State Drive - CSSD-N120GBGTXB-BK - Scan.co.uk

Case:
Corsair Carbide Series 200R Compact ATX Case- Black - CC-9011025-WW/BULK - Scan.co.uk

Optical:
24x DVDRW from Liteon IHAS124-04 OEM Black SATA - Scan.co.uk

587 and leaves room to buy a keyboard and mouse of your choice. I figured it you actually needed a HDD for more storage you could swipe the one out of your laptop, format it, and put it in your PC. The quad + 8GB of RAM and SSD trio will give you more than what you want performance wise browsing and doing anything else. The 650ti is a capable GPU for playing all games, but the more demanding games like BF3 you wont be able to play on High settings if you have a 1080p monitor.

658 quid

EVGA GeForce GTX 660TI 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card £229.99

Intel 520 Series 120GB 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Hard Drive £119.99

Intel Core i3-2130 3.40GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor - Retail £99.95

ASRock H77 Pro4-M Intel H77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard £67.99

Antec VP550P 550W '80 Plus' Continuous Power Supply £54.98

Corsair Carbide 200R Compact ATX Case - Black £49.99

Kingston HyperX Beast 8GB (2x4GB) PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit £35.99

Sub Total : £549.07
658 w/ VAT

Ok thanks to all of you* but @Jason that graphics card is like 1/3 of my budget, which is exactly what I didn't want to spend on one ha-ha. I wouldn't particularly know but the rest seems ok. @PP Mguire I wouldn't even begin to know how to open my laptop case, it's no kidding around 10 years old and been in use 4 like seven. I like that Solid State Drive you put in there, which reading the component bio on the website seems like a pretty smart thing to do. Seems a little pricey though, is there any cheaper ones but are near enough as good? I just have another question though, after reading like a little bit of info on Google about the 'EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti Graphics Card - 1GB' are you sure that would be good enough? I don't play BF3 or anything like that, I mainly play those sort of games on PS3/Xbox 360 But, I play Runescape a lot and since I'm gonna spend like £600+ on a computer I'd preferably like to be able to play in HD quality. And I wouldn't even be able to afford a 1080p monitor I don't think, when I said I don't need a monitor it was because I'm going to buy a VGA or DVI or HDMI or whatever cable it is so I can connect my computer to my TV.

Last edited:
Ok thanks to all of you* but @Jason that graphics card is like 1/3 of my budget, which is exactly what I didn't want to spend on one ha-ha. I wouldn't particularly know but the rest seems ok. @PP Mguire I wouldn't even begin to know how to open my laptop case, it's no kidding around 10 years old and been in use 4 like seven. I like that Solid State Drive you put in there, which reading the component bio on the website seems like a pretty smart thing to do. Seems a little pricey though, is there any cheaper ones but are near enough as good? I just have another question though, after reading like a little bit of info on Google about the 'EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti Graphics Card - 1GB' are you sure that would be good enough? I don't play BF3 or anything like that, I mainly play those sort of games on PS3/Xbox 360 But, I play Runescape a lot and since I'm gonna spend like £600+ on a computer I'd preferably like to be able to play in HD quality. And I wouldn't even be able to afford a 1080p monitor I don't think, when I said I don't need a monitor it was because I'm going to buy a VGA or DVI or HDMI or whatever cable it is so I can connect my computer to my TV.
What is the model of the laptop and I'll tell you how to get the drive out of it. There should just be a plate you can simply unscrew (usually 2 screws) and it just comes right out. Usually.

650ti would be overkill for Runescape. It's an old game. If something like an old GTX 260 can play BF3 then a 650ti will actually handle anything you throw at it. The next step up is a GTX 660 and you already said you don't want to spend that much. Just putting that out there.

My rig is in budget and gives you more CPU power for multi-tasking rather than going with an i3 for the better GPU. The only reason I didn't go the way Jason did is because you didn't mention any actually high demanding games. If you wanted to just drop to the i3 you could afford a regular HDD for storage and still afford the SSD. Other quality SSDs will be in the same price range like the Intel 520 Jason listed.

You can go either way more GPU power with less CPU power, or less CPU power with same GPU power and add a HDD. The other way is lower quality SSD and a HDD for the same GPU and CPU.

Ok sure, it's a HP Laptop, model G5000. Processor is an Intel(R) T2130 CPU @ 1.86GHz. 1GB RAM. Like I said it's old & bad ha-ha. I think I'd rather just buy a new 'HDD' to be honest, This thing only has a 100GB Hard Drive anyway. And you're right Runescape has been around for 10+ years now, but it's far more demanding than it's ever been, but I've never had a decent computer so I wouldn't know the requirements to run on max

Ok sure, it's a HP Laptop, model G5000. Processor is an Intel(R) T2130 CPU @ 1.86GHz. 1GB RAM. Like I said it's old & bad ha-ha. I think I'd rather just buy a new 'HDD' to be honest, This thing only has a 100GB Hard Drive anyway. And you're right Runescape has been around for 10+ years now, but it's far more demanding than it's ever been, but I've never had a decent computer so I wouldn't know the requirements to run on max
A whole lot less than what we are listing off. Both of the rigs listed already could even play BF3.

As to the laptop, Googled it and just as I thought. 2 screw plate on the bottom. Remove that and you can get to the HDD.

If you want to stretch your budget a bit you can drop the SSD to this:
OCZ Technology 128GB Agility 4 SSD - Solid State Drive - AGT4-25SAT3-128G - Scan.co.uk

And add this HDD:
Seagate 500Gb 3.5" Barracuda Hard Drive 7200rpm 16MB Cache - ST500DM002 - Scan.co.uk

Or you can drop the i5 down to the i3 3220 and add the HDD.

Ok thanks to all of you* but @Jason that graphics card is like 1/3 of my budget, which is exactly what I didn't want to spend on one ha-ha.

do you ever plan on playing new games? bf3 will probably look a bit different. i wouldnt buy anything smaller in resolution than 1920x1080

is your tv 1920x1080?

Back
Top Bottom