Hard Drive

KingmanRoss

In Runtime
Bought a new HDD.Should receive today.Description said internal for PC. Nothing about mobile/laptop.But,dimensions are (did not catch it in time before ordering) smaller than my old HDD. I have the fear it will not work,except in maybe a mini or laptop. It is a Sata. I know you can not put a regular HDD in a laptop,would never fit. But,what about the other way around,as long as it was able to connect. In case they sent me the wrong HDD. I hope I am worrying for nothing.

This is the description-Toshiba MQ01ABD MQ01ABD050 500 GB 2.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM - SATA/300 - 5400 rpm - 8 MB Buffer
Product Features

Storage Capacity: 500 GB
Maximum External Data Transfer Rate: 384 MBps (3 Gbps)
Rotational Speed: 5400 rpm
Buffer: 8 MB
Drive Interface: SATA/300
SATA Pin: 7-pin
Form Factor: Internal
Drive Width: 2.5"
Height: 0.4"
Width: 2.8"
Depth: 3.9"
Weight (Approximate): 3.77 oz
Green Compliant: Yes
Green Compliance Certificate/Authority: RoHS

Yes, it can work in a desktop. As long as you have the appropriate connections on the motherboard and whatnot.

Now, if you do not have a 2.5 inch bay in your case, you can snag a 2.5 to 3.5 inch adapter. Which comes in a few forms, such as straight up adapter brackets, hdd silencing solutions, hdd cooling solutions, and I'm sure there is one i might be forgetting.

Back to compatibility, you have the necessary ports to connect this drive, yes?

Connections are SATA,so,I guess it will be fine,as the new one is also a SATA.Thanks for the fast reply. The size(dimensions) is what threw me off.

You will either need the adapter mentioned or you can screw one of the screws in to mount it to the case without one. They are light so it would be enough if you aren't moving your PC around.

Although there are over 1000 uses for duct tape and I'm sure every one works very well, be careful not to cover any air vents on the drive because it will not work properly if you do. If you happen to have the urge to make the inside of your pc more presentable than duct tape, there are choices of 2.5" to 3.5" mountings for about $5.
Hard Drive Accessories - Newegg.com

you may want to consider returning it anyways. most laptop hdd's, including this one. run at 5400 rpm, which youll probably notice a speed difference. youll also notice a speed difference for the better x1000 if you could exchange it for an ssd. difference being price tradeoff on volume.

Back
Top Bottom