Overclock... Impossible?

maddangerous

In Runtime
Hi guys (and gals?) i have a fun little problem to work out :D

i have been unsuccessful in overclocking my Intel P4 (stock 3.0GHz) at all. i think i can make it to.. 3.140GHz? if i go over that, hit F10 to save the settings, and reboot, i get a warning message that "my previous performance settings were lost, and the defaults have been restored" is what iirc it says.

here is a link to the PDF for the motherboard (or close to it, i have one IDE header instead or 3): http://premioinc.com/pc/manuals/mb/915P/915P.pdf

i have no real need of overclocking it at the moment, as it is my HTPC, but i would really like to get this figured out, sometime in the nearish future ill be turning it back into a normal machine, at which point i would like to overclock the s*** out of it.

let me know if you need additional specs, im tired and lazy right now lol, but lets see if we can figure this out

for now it is stock air cooling, and 1 gig ddr@400MHz. when i do overclock it, it will be the max 2 gig of DDR2. ill upgrade the stock air when the time comes to overclock

Scratch it all actually. There is no voltage control so you can't OC without extra volts. You also shouldn't be OCing on the stock cooler since the Pentium 4 is one of the hottest chips ever to hit the market.

i have no real need of overclocking it at the moment, as it is my HTPC, but i would really like to get this figured out, sometime in the nearish future ill be turning it back into a normal machine, at which point i would like to overclock the s*** out of it.

yes, it does take DDR2, and it does have voltage control in the BIOS. i know the link isnt to the exact board, (couldnt find it) i can upload pics of the board and bios Cell Menu if youd like.

and i wont oc with stock air ;)

Edit: i though the celeron D was? the one i had was WAY hotter than this P4

Last edited:
I edited because I scrolled up and noticed it was a DDR2 board. Helps to get advice when you link the right thing.

Well if you aren't going to OC with the stock cooler then why are you trying? If you have voltage and DRAM control then set your RAM lower and add volts for the OC. Then you can raise the FSB. I would only raise 5 or 10 at a time.

Celeron D and Pentium D are just 2 CPUs slapped together, literally. The Presscot P4 got its name Presshot for a reason though. All P4s were ridiculously hot for their time.
Even though, The C-D should have ran cool.

if you look, i said i couldnt find the exact model :p and the one i linked only has one difference: two more IDE headers.

im trying because i do want to oc it, and i the amount that i can successfully oc it is so small, then when i go over that GHz, if fails and reverts to defaults. i wouldnt be concerned with a 200 MHz test oc on stock cooling honestly, its just i cant make it to 3.2 without it failing. (and i want to get this bump in the road smoothed out befor i go speed monies on a nice aftermarket cooler on it) i know its not hitting extreme temps. ill have to grab a screenshot for you of the OC screen, as i dont think i can directly control the ram, i think its linked to the FSB. dont quote me on that, ill go look right now lol.

yeah gimme a minute ill take a pic and try to post it, i dont yet have and image hosting site so ill have to sign up for one. suggestion for a reliable free one whilst im at it?

No the difference is in the bios too. That board you linked has no voltage control but you are saying yours does.

The FSB directly controls RAM speed, but you have something called a divider. Set your DRAM speed manually lower than 400 so when you raise the FSB you aren't going over your stock RAM clocks.

You wont be able to OC the CPU at all without bumping up voltage. You need to raise VCORE or it'll be unstable.

ok i see now. ill give that a shot in a moment, like i said, not worried about trying to hit 3.2. (maybe 3.3)

i had tried that (VCORE) but how much should i bump it? i didn't do too much last time, they're color coded for default, safe, high, and not recommended settings. i didn't venture past the first safe setting.

also, the lowest DRAM i can set is 333, its between auto, 400, and 333 :/

So then set it to 333. When you raise your FSB by 10 that number will go up 10 as well. 333 is DDR2 667 so when you raise your FSB 10 your DDR2 will be running 677.

I have to know what the stock voltage is to recommend what to go to. Raising voltage is what makes a chip get even hotter.

Back
Top Bottom