My Computer Won't Start!

plofisto777

Solid State Member
So recently my computer decided it did not want to turn on. It had been working just fine since I've had which is about a year now, when today it refused to start up. I did the following things: moved it to a different outlet to turn it on and that did not help. Checked to make sure the power switch was on in my psu, made sure that all my front panel connections were in place and connected, and I made sure that the outlets in my house were working. I decided to unplug most of my devices on it except for the motherboard, heatsink, and a couple fans and I tried turning it on but that did not help either. I doesn't even make an attempt and running. Anybody have any ideas what the problem might be with why it decided not to turn on anymore?

Sounds to me like the PSU has bit the dust. If you happen to have a replacement, try it out and that will tell you if its power supply failure

Unplug all the psu cables from the other computer parts.
Optional, leave just a fan plugged into your psu if you want.

Next, plug the psu to the wall outlet and make sure the back switch on the psu is turned on.

Then on the Main connector (20+4Pin) of the psu, look for a green wire and any black wire.

Next unfold a paper clip and insert each end of the paper clip where the green and any black wire connector are. (You need to leave the paper clip in for the psu to continue running, it will turn off if you remove the clip.) This should jump start your psu if it's not broken.

Unplug all the psu cables from the other computer parts.
Optional, leave just a fan plugged into your psu if you want.

Next, plug the psu to the wall outlet and make sure the back switch on the psu is turned on.

Then on the Main connector (20+4Pin) of the psu, look for a green wire and any black wire.

Next unfold a paper clip and insert each end of the paper clip where the green and any black wire connector are. (You need to leave the paper clip in for the psu to continue running, it will turn off if you remove the clip.) This should jump start your psu if it's not broken.

If you go this route to test the PSU, make sure you put some sort of load on the PSU (be it a CD/DVD ROM drive or whatever); otherwise there's the possibility of damaging it, if it isn't already damaged.

Back
Top Bottom