Are these temps normal on i7-3970X?

For now, I agree that things are fine. But once this quarter is over, and I have a couple of weeks off, I want to overclock this, as it's currently slower than my old setup, which was overclocked to 4.2GHz.
Highly doubt it. You turbo to 4Ghz and the SB architecture is a good 10-12% faster IPC than Nehalem.

One last thing... is there any possibility that using a 1366 socket cooling block on a 2011socket would cause the temps to not be as low as they could be? The ASUS board came with an adaptor bracket, and I hadn't even considered the possibility that it might not be optimal.

The block you have is even better than mine, so I don't see why the initial support would cause an issue.

They have a strict installation for your block. Is it installed properly? The orientation of the block (bottom part) makes a difference, as does the flow of the block.

Yep, you have to have the input on the left and the output on the right. I was wondering more along the lines of how the "cooling spread" is set up... in other words, are there hot spots which the water flow should target that it might not be? I know that there is a removable jet plate in my block which is optimized for different CPU setups; since there was no 2011 socket at the time, I'm wondering if this jet plate is causing it to not be cooled as efficiently... aren't the cores spaced differently?

That's a good question and I don't know how the individual cores are setup. I should, but I don't lol. I actually have to recommend emailing EK and finding out exactly how you should have it setup. When you email them, I would see if they will send you the proper 2011 mounts too. I bet they will send it for free.

Back
Top Bottom