Looking for an HD video capture device that displays video on pc

Veraster

In Runtime
I am looking for an HD video capture device that captures the input of a component or HDMI port and displays it in realtime on a computer screen via USB. The point of this is to be able to play Xbox using my laptop screen and not have to use a tv or a desktop monitor.

All of the HD capture devices I've looked at advertize that they have the ability to record video TO a computer but none of them say anything about actually watching the realtime video on the computer. They advertize capability for these things to record video to a video file (and say nothing about displaying the video on a screen) like it's a big deal but I don't care about that.

Does anybody know of a good one? The only one I know of that I have seen display real time HD video on a computer is the GC1000 but it has horrible reviews.

What inputs does your laptop have? Does it have HDMI? If so, you should be able to plug your XBox360's HDMI cord directly into your laptop.

Assuming you don't have the HDMI input on your laptop, you might consider the Hauppauge HD-PVR. It's meant for recording, but I assume you could use it to simply play through. There are several models listed here.

What inputs does your laptop have? Does it have HDMI? If so, you should be able to plug your XBox360's HDMI cord directly into your laptop.
Only a handful of laptops have hdmi INPUTS, 99% of laptops only have hdmi OUTPUTS (There are none sold currently in the US, but there are some rumors that origin-pc laptops have an in and out). And it's all in the name of anti-piracy.

I've heard ok reviews about this, roxio Game Capture HD Pro - Newegg.com

A good one, that produces as little lag as possible, in the best quality (also with reliable software), is gonna cost you some moo-lah. That roxio one, surprisingly, is a good price for capturing pure hd incoming video, but it's certainly not that great. (Sony only allows gameplay recording through a component connection at this time)

Edit: Here's another one I found that's a little better.
Amazon.com: Hauppauge HD PVR 2 Gaming Edition High Definition Game Capture Device with HDMI In and Out and Real Time Passthrough for Use with PC, Xbox 360 and PS3: Computers & Accessories

Last edited:
Only a handful of laptops have hdmi INPUTS, 99% of laptops only have hdmi OUTPUTS (There are none sold currently in the US, but there are some rumors that origin-pc laptops have an in and out). And it's all in the name of anti-piracy.
Oh man, someone's gonna totally hack into the Pentagon and release an uber amount of pirated software with such a thing. :facepalm:God I hate it when they outlaw crap like that for reasons as lame as this. Idiots like that shouldn't be allowed the leading positions that they're in.
:SeriouslyChan:

I had considered the Hauppauge units but they have a lot of bad reviews about having to restart the computer before and after each use to get the drivers working. I don't want to pay $150 for something that makes me restart all the time. but some users don't have this problem. Restarting my computer is just one of the things that makes me frustrated.

The Roxio one has some bad reviews as well. However, Roxio claims to of come out with more updates to make it work better. There's still a notable risk of wasting a ton of money though. I'd be more likely to buy that than the Hauppauge.

What do you think of this one? Amazon.com: AVERMEDIA AVERTV HD USB DVR TV Tuners and Video Capture C874 Sleek Black: Electronics
It does have bad reviews but has the best good review/bad review ratio that I've seen.

Last edited:
The only thing with the avermedia one is, yes it is more reliable software, but the livestreaming (which you're looking for I assume) is 100x worse. Most people, I've read who bought it, turn OFF the previewer when capturing video (seems counterproductive). The PS3 is the worst device to try and get video from unfortunately.
A. it encrypts the HDMI signal (rendering it useless).
B. capturing from the component signal gives mixed results at best, proably no matter which product you end up buying.

As far as the piracy reason for no hdmi inputs, it's more or less a toll-booth for the DCP corporation (Digital Content Protection, LLC.) They tell the media distribution company (i.e. AMD, Intel, HP, Microsoft, Lenovo, Panasonic, Samsung, Sony, Toshiba, etc.), we'll encrypt your content for you so nobody steals it and we'll give you the decryption key for your devices.

The media dist. company pays for every device that has a HDCP-compliant port, and of course in this day in age, companies are scrounging for money everywhere so they won't waste money paying DCP for HDCP licenses.

But the DCP make money, and the media companies don't lose money from piracy.

Last edited:
The only thing with the avermedia one is, yes it is more reliable software, but the livestreaming (which you're looking for I assume) is 100x worse. Most people, I've read who bought it, turn OFF the previewer when capturing video (seems counterproductive). The PS3 is the worst device to try and get video from unfortunately.
A. it encrypts the HDMI signal (rendering it useless).
B. capturing from the component signal gives mixed results at best, proably no matter which product you end up buying.
Ok then I'm not getting the one from avermedia.

A 30 second restart before using the Hauppauge probably isn't that bad after all. At least that's its only common issue which is better than taking a random chance of getting a different unit that may or may not work correctly at all.

Is there anybody that is using one of these units?

I'm a little confused on what your asking... Are you asking for a capture device for recording video or games from an xbox or something, or are you looking to directly plug your xbox into the laptop?

I suppose you wan do both with an elgato.
They are the best HD capture device for HDMI devices and even if you aren't recording on your laptop, it makes a kind of backup of the video so you can go back and record it after it even happened.

It's really good and I would highly suggest it.

I'm a little confused on what your asking... Are you asking for a capture device for recording video or games from an xbox or something, or are you looking to directly plug your xbox into the laptop
Veraster said:
I am looking for an HD video capture device that captures the input of a component or HDMI port and displays it in realtime on a computer screen via USB.
He was asking for a way to do both simulataneously.

The Elgato is a good product, if you still want to play the xbox on a TV. But the recording media on the laptop only gives the user a small preview of what is actually being recorded. It's not the like the other choices that provide realtime hdmi passthrough to the laptop or the TV.

I'm a little confused on what your asking... Are you asking for a capture device for recording video or games from an xbox or something, or are you looking to directly plug your xbox into the laptop?
I want to plug my xbox into my laptop so I don't have to use a tv to play xbox. I don't really care about recording.

Back
Top Bottom