flashing BIOS in Aptio Setup Utility

maja_ldm

Beta member
I am trying to upload the BIOS of my laptop from an USB drive (Asus N53SV, from BIOS version 212 to version 215), but I can't find a boot from USB option in my BIOS.
The BIOS interface I access from the splash screen is Aptio Setup Utility 2.01.1204. I have a dual boot system with GRUB1.98.
If I undestand it correctly flashing from hard disk requires a FAT32 partition (which I don't have) and flashing form cd is a very bad idea.

The preset menus don't have a "boot from usb" option, but if I plug an USB drive in the laptop before booting I can see an "Add New Boot Option" option.
If I try to use this option I'm asked for name, filsystem and a path for an .efi file.
The AMI documentation simply describes the menu without any instruction or explanation.
I can create an entry without the .efi filepath but doing so and putting the entry at the top of the boot order the laptop goeas directly to GRUB after the splash screen.
The only reference I found is: http://www.techist.com/forums/f43/usb-boot-bios-trouble-asus-laptop-247773/ but it's about a different task.

How can I update my BIOS?

The options I can see in the BIOS interface are:
UEFI boot: enable/disable (D)
PXE ROM: enable disable (D)
Boot Option 1,2, ...
(you can switch hdd and cd-rom, by default nothing else)
Hard Drive BBS Priorities
CD/DVD ROM Drive BBS Priorities
(you can select witch hdd and cd-rom)
[Add New Boot Option]
Delete Boot Option
(allows you to delete custom entry deiveces)

These are the BIOS updates, are they worth the hassle?
BIOS 215
1.Show system serial number on setup menu
2.Add New CPU function support
3.Update CPU microcode
4.Fix sometimes system can't boot after press power button.
5.Update EC firmware
BIOS 214
1.Fix PCIE TV Tuner no function bug
2.Fix USB keyboard no function in DOS.
3.Optimize Realtek 8111E LAN modul
Download from Global
BIOS 213
1.Change EC firmware
2.Restrict system memory frequency
3.Change Intel VGA VBIOS to 2117 , and adjust timing for Samsung 15'6 FHD panel

If you are not having any issues requiring a bios flash, I would not worry about it.

With that said, what does the support site for your laptop recommend for updating your bios?

since I'm installing a new os I thought I could as well update the BIOS, hoping that such things as power management could be more efficient (sometimes the fan goes crazy for no reason...).
Asus website doesn't really have any documentation for this and in their forums I have seen many unanswered questions on similar topics.

if I can't find a way soon I'll just forget about it, just it seems strange not to be able to boot from USB...

well.. looking through the menus I found an application called Start Easy Flash to update the bios from within the Aptio utility. still don't know how to boot from usb to install my linux but... ok now.

Back
Top Bottom