Random power offs

I had this exact same problem with my PC just a month ago. I cleaned out the fans, put in more powerful ones, removed some hardware... Everything you could Imagine. It still spontaneously shut down randomly, sometimes just leaving the Power LED on and a single fan (CPU fan) spinning. Here's how I fixed it:

I didn't have the money to go buy another 50 to 100 dollar PSU, so being the Electrician that I am I just opened the dam thing up.

Whenever a power converter, signal-inverter or PSU starts acting stupid, 99.100,000,000% of the time it's just a capacitor failing. You can tell when a capacitor has failed when it's either leaking, bulging up from the top, or caving in a lot. Here is an image comparing a good cap to a bad one:

capblown_3.jpg

The bad one's got to be replaced, and that's how I fixed mine. I opened it up, took a look around for a bulging capacitor, and sure enough, I found one. After I found out what Kind of capacitor I needed, I just went to radio shack and bought a new capacitor just like it, replaced the old one and problem solved.

If you do decide to go through the trouble of replacing the cap, you first need a few things:
  • Rubber gloves, (a safety precaution to protect you from electric discharge, you never know..)
  • Soldering iron (Never leave the thing unattended while it's hot or while it's cooling down; it could burn your house to a crisp..)
  • Flux core solder (Flux is a paste that prevents oxidation, making it easier for the solder to bond to things..)

Also, please watch this video before doing anything. It gives you an Idea of what precautions to take, and more importantly what to look for.

Capacitor Replacement Tutorial - YouTube

Last edited:
Thanks ATIRAGEPRO for the advanced and interesting information/instructions :).

However, I think that is too much work for me, and I don't have any soldering iron. :) Additionally I need to do something to the noise of my current power supply unit too.

So I am considering buying this power supply unit:

XFX Core Edition P1-550S-XXB9 550W (530 SEK), XFX Core Edition P1-550S-XXB9 550W - Ntaggregat - Hitta lgsta pris, omdmen och information (Swedish link)

It seems to have a 5 year "Limited" warranty (don't know what "Limited" means in this case). According to this review, XFX Core Edition 550W Review, "At least this time, the voltage remained in specification at all times...", which I assume is enough, however it states "...we once again see unusual +12V regulation that goes up when the PSU is taxed."

The wattage should also be sufficient for me as far as I understand from this site, eXtreme Outer Vision - eXtreme tools for computer enthusiasts, I do have my computer running 24/7 for several years, but chess does not require powerful video card:).

I also attach a screenshot with temperatures during the prime95 "Blend"-test. During this test the computer shut down after only about 3 minutes :lol: (compared to something in between 1 hour and 12 hours during chess analysis).

Best regards,

Claes

Attachments

• prime95.jpg
    prime95.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Thanks ATIRAGEPRO for the advanced and interesting information/instructions :).

However, I think that is too much work for me, and I don't have any soldering iron. :) Additionally I need to do something to the noise of my current power supply unit too.

So I am considering buying this power supply unit:

XFX Core Edition P1-550S-XXB9 550W (530 SEK), XFX Core Edition P1-550S-XXB9 550W - Ntaggregat - Hitta lgsta pris, omdmen och information (Swedish link)

It seems to have a 5 year "Limited" warranty (don't know what "Limited" means in this case). According to this review, XFX Core Edition 550W Review, "At least this time, the voltage remained in specification at all times...", which I assume is enough, however it states "...we once again see unusual +12V regulation that goes up when the PSU is taxed."

The wattage should also be sufficient for me as far as I understand from this site, eXtreme Outer Vision - eXtreme tools for computer enthusiasts, I do have my computer running 24/7 for several years, but chess does not require powerful video card:).

I also attach a screenshot with temperatures during the prime95 "Blend"-test. During this test the computer shut down after only about 3 minutes :lol: (compared to something in between 1 hour and 12 hours during chess analysis).

Best regards,

Claes

I would not get that xfx brand, its ok ok.... i suggest u these

CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

Antec EA-500 Green 500W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

also alot of times its safe, until it reaches near 80c then i would be worried.... ur temps seems fine

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom