burnt motherboard - WHY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnionMan

Solid State Member
There is a burnt chip on the motherboard (Intel ICH5R chip)
May have happened when i plugged in my camera to USB.

Now, before anything happened you couldnt touch the PC or the monitor without getting a shock. Maybe its because the voltage coming out of the walls here in thailand is 220V compared to 110V in the US. Maybe that is what fried the chip but shouldnt the power supply take care of that? I was told to get a AC Voltage converter. I was also told that there could be a miswiring in the computer that caused the burn.

Motherboard: Asus P4P800-E Deluxe
P4 2.8E

Any advice or speculations would be helpful. If i dont get this sorted I may have to buy a new motherbord every two months.

most likly you have a short in the mounting or your mobo to the case on one or more of the screws, if not there the short will most likely be in the power supply. if the ground plug isnt cut off on your power cord , it would have shorted out when out plugged it in if the psu was bad. The fact that you get a shock when you touch the case is showing that you have a power bridge from the hot side of your power cord right to the case, but the path for this is tricky not being able to see the setup you have.

You cannot run your comp with a 110v PSU and 220v electricity. It would fry everything, so your PSU is probably the correct voltage or it would have never worked.

On most PSUs there is a switch to switch between 220 and 110. If that was set to 110 and you were trying to use 220, that might cause probs for you.

Thanks so much guys. Still thinking...

Im sure the switch on the powersupply is set to 220V.

If there is a short to the case or one of the screws, how exactly would I know? What can i do to fix a sort to a screw or to the case?

How would I know if there was a short in the powersupply?

I dont think the "shock" is not static because it is a constistant flow of electricty into your finger, not just a little zap.

So it sounds like all I can do is get a new case with powersupply. Or maybe take it to a shop and have them look at the powersupply, if i could actually find knowledgable repair people.

I appreciate the help guys. I will check back for any further advice. Big ups!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom