Deleted a partition on my computer, lost the GB space for my main HD

The recovery partition is a separate partition on your hard drive, If you have recovery disks you may or may not need the recovery partition, some manufactures use the boot disks that you create to access this hidden partition. If you research the specs of your pc from the manufacture and IF your recovery disks are real recovery disks that do not depend on the hidden recovery partition, then go a head and delete that partition and use it.
You still have 915 gb's of space with that recovery partition, Are you really going to miss the 15 gb's?

You can use GParted to merge the partitions from outside of windows. Please back up anything you want because you can easily trash your existing windows install if you are not careful using GParted
http://gparted.org/display-doc.php?name=help-manual&lang=C

Last edited:
The recovery partition is a separate partition on your hard drive, If you have recovery disks you may or may not need the recovery partition, some manufactures use the boot disks that you create to access this hidden partition. If you research the specs of your pc from the manufacture and IF your recovery disks are real recovery disks that do not depend on the hidden recovery partition, then go a head and delete that partition and use it.
You still have 915 gb's of space with that recovery partition, Are you really going to miss the 15 gb's?

You can use GParted to merge the partitions from outside of windows. Please back up anything you want because you can easily trash your existing windows install if you are not careful using GParted
GParted -- GParted Manual

No I won't really miss the extra GB, I am just trying to understand all this, and wanted to get feedback.

I think I was just trying to understand what I did. When I deleted the partition that had been created, I didn't merge it with the main partition. Then I went back and expanded the Main C drive and it opened it up to the current 915GB.

I am trying to understand if by expanding it did it just recognize the extra unallocated space from the deleted partition, and add that space back to the C drive (main partition)? I was wondering how does this affect stability in the future as more and more apps and programs/software is added?

If I lost that small amount of GB is it recoverable? But honestly this is a practice computer for the specific purpose of learning, but I do have to return this in a year after my schooling.

Again, thanks for your time and patience with me. I am reading one of my text books that talks about partitioning and the different types of disks and sorting this all out and learning as I go along!

;)

Your drive would never display as 1TB when viewed in my computer, as you lose a certain amount of drive space when the drive is formatted, so what you have (including the recovery partition) seems the correct amount of available space

Your drive would never display as 1TB when viewed in my computer, as you lose a certain amount of drive space when the drive is formatted, so what you have (including the recovery partition) seems the correct amount of available space

true...you'll never see more than 931 GB on yout 1 TB hard drive.
I think someone already stated the 1000 vs the 1024 thing between the drive manufactures and Microsoft

Back
Top Bottom