Deleted a partition on my computer, lost the GB space for my main HD

Studenttech1

Baseband Member
On my second computer, I installed VMware. I apparently clicked the wrong thing and caused the program to partition my main C drive. I ran into some issues with the VMware, so I just uninstalled it. I then noticed some other quirky issues, so I did a system restore last night, and put the computer back to about a week back.

I wanted to get rid of the partition (thinking that the space in the partition would go to my C drive). In the process of deleting the partition that had been created, It shows that my C drive has lost a tremendous amount of the space. The main C drive had 1TB of space, now it only has 174gb left on it. I am unsure as to have to fix this now. The computer is running Windows 8 currently.

How do I get the volume/space back into my main HD?

Hmmm.. well I did the expand volume on the main disk and it brought it right back to its original size. But I am going to look at those programs you linked. So now it appears that by expanding the volume option increased the main C drive. (I am assuming it just saw the unallocated space from the deleted partition)

I am soooo glad this is a practice computer, and not my main computer! LOL

Thanks for the links and info!

Last edited:
Ok weird, so I did a defrag on main drive. It looks like I didn't recovery all the space from expanding the main C drive. It says 848GB free of 915GB instead of saying 848GB of 1TB.

So I guess I just expanded the C drive, and didn't necessarily recover the lost space from the deleted partition.

Ok, going to those links you provided. Still working this out.

Ok, so I am looking at this video "how to", How to Recover Deleted Partition in Windows 8.mp4 - YouTube and it shows a program AOMEI for restoring deleted partions. By the way, I didn't have any files or data on that deleted partition. If I run a program like in the video and recover the deleted partition will I then be able to merge the partition with my main C drive? Will this cause data loss to my main HD? Or will it just move the space back to my C drive?

In addition, now that I have expanded the C drive, will it cause issues if I merge?

Lots of questions here...

Last edited by a moderator:
It is the difference of how HD manufactures lable drives and how Windows recognize it.

HD manufactures say 1mb = 1000 kb versus the 1024.

You loose around 7% of what the drive manufactures says.

It is the difference of how HD manufactures lable drives and how Windows recognize it.

HD manufactures say 1mb = 1000 kb versus the 1024.

You loose around 7% of what the drive manufactures says.

I see, so if I had 1TB on a SATA drive, it isn't going to show as 1TB when I look in my computer.

But I guess, what I am trying to figure out is, when I expanded my C drive, did it recover the deleted partition space? Or did it just do a big expansion? Should I still try to recover the deleted partition, and merge it with the C drive? Or is the expansion sufficient and just leave it alone.

Ok reading some more stuff online, so what I am getting is that what the manufacturer is saying is 1TB really isn't math wise, due to the binary system and how its converted into decimals? Hmmm.. interesting.

Ok after more reading I think extending the main partion (C drive) that has the MBR on it may have brought the volume up to the 915GB but I am still missing some GB. In addition I am wondering how to just go back and restore the Main Disk. So I am thinking my only option might be to just back up the current data I have on this computer, and do a clean install reformatting the disk, I think the reformatting will put it back to its original size won't it? Please give me your thoughts on this. This is my new "practice" computer, so I don't have a whole lot on it currently. I might not do a back up on it.

By the way this machine when bought new, came with an image of the Operating System of Windows 8. Seems now a days if you buy a prebuilt computer, they companies no longer give you an actual CD of the operating system. They do a partition on the HD and put the OS as an image on it. If I flat out buy the windows 8 OS and do a clean install this won't have an affect on the HD will it? It will just wipe out the partition and clean image? I notice that there are some other partitions in there with system restore/recovery. But I imagine that are the restore points, just not sure.

Anyway, I would love more thoughts, opinions while I am trying to figure out what to do next.
Thanks!

PS. I looked at the software to recover the partition, but it doesn't necessarily clarify that I can merge it to the main partition. I have extended the main partition which I don't think really recovers that partition I deleted it just extended it.

Last edited:
This system:

Computer

Model : ASUS CM6330_CM6630_CM6730_CM6830-8 Desktop
Chassis : Desktop
Mainboard : ASUS CM6330_CM6630_CM6730_CM6830
Serial Number : 1210033********
BIOS : AMI (OEM) 0404 09/28/2012
Total Memory : 5.7GB DIMM DDR3

Processors
Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3220 CPU @ 3.30GHz (2C 4T 3.3GHz, 3.3GHz IMC, 2x 256kB L2, 3MB L3)
Socket/Slot : FC LGA1155

Chipset
Memory Controller : ASUS Core (Ivy Bridge) DRAM Controller 100MHz, 2x 3GB DIMM DDR3 1.6GHz 128-bit, Integrated Graphics

Memory Module(s)
Memory Module : Asint SLA302G08-GGNHC 4GB DIMM DDR3 PC3-12800U DDR3-1600 (11-11-11-29 5-40-13-6)
Memory Module : Asint SLZ302G08-GGNHC 2GB DIMM DDR3 PC3-12800U DDR3-1600 (11-11-11-29 5-40-13-6)

Video System
Monitor/Panel : Hewlett Packard HP w1907
(1440x900, 25.7")
Video Adapter : Intel(R) HD Graphics (6CU 6SP SM5.0 350MHz/1GHz, 256MB DDR3 1.6GHz/3GHz 128-bit, Integrated Graphics)

Graphics Processor
OpenCL GP Processor : Intel(R) HD Graphics (6SP 6C 350MHz/1GHz, 1.5GB DDR3 1.6GHz/3GHz 128-bit, Integrated Graphics)
Compute Shader Processor : Intel(R) HD Graphics (6SP 350MHz/1GHz, 256MB DDR3 1.6GHz/3GHz 128-bit, Integrated Graphics)

Storage Devices
Seagate ST1000DM003-9YN162 (1TB, SATA600, 3.5", 7200rpm) : 932GB (C: )
Generic- Multi-Card (USB2) : N/A (G: )
ASUS DVD RAM GH92N (SATA150, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 2MB Cache) : N/A (E: )

Logical Storage Devices
Windows (C: ) : 915GB (NTFS) @ Seagate ST1000DM003-9YN162 (1TB, SATA600, 3.5", 7200rpm)
Windows RE tools : 800MB (NTFS)
Recovery image : 15GB (NTFS)
Removable Drive (G: ) : N/A @ Generic- Multi-Card (USB2)
Optical Drive (E: ) : N/A @ ASUS DVD RAM GH92N (SATA150, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 2MB Cache)

Peripherals
LPC Hub Controller 1 : ASUS H61 LPC Controller
LPC Legacy Controller 1 : T0 C3-33
Audio Device : ASUS Cougar Point High Definition Audio Controller
Audio Codec : Realtek Semi High Definition Audio
Disk Controller : ASUS Cougar Point 4 port SATA IDE Controller
Disk Controller : ASUS Cougar Point 2 port SATA IDE Controller
Disk Controller : ASUS Asmedia 106x SATA Controller
USB Controller 1 : ASUS Cougar Point USB Enhanced Host Controller #2
USB Controller 2 : ASUS Cougar Point USB Enhanced Host Controller #1
USB Controller 3 : ASUS ASMedia XHCI Controller
SMBus/i2c Controller 1 : Intel ICH SMBus

Printers and Faxes
Printer : Microsoft XPS Document Writer v4 (600x600, Colour)
Fax : Microsoft Shared Fax Driver (200x200)

Peripherals

Network Services
Network Adapter : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller (Ethernet)
Wireless Adapter : NETGEAR WNDA3100v2 N600 Wireless Dual Band USB Adapter (802.11g (ERP), AES-CCMP, 54Mbps)

Operating System
Windows System : Microsoft Windows 8 Home 6.02.9200
Platform Compliance : x64

----------------

Hmmm.. the recovery image 15GB, am wondering if that is the windows 8 image.

Last edited:
Here is what I am looking at inside the Disk Management Screen:

DiskManagementscreen.png

Back
Top Bottom