Help with choosing graphics cards for sli or crossfire

reggie2013

Solid State Member
Hi all ,i would like to have a look at purchasing two or three cards for my new system but im new to the whole sli and crossfire thing so i was wondering if i could have some help on cards to choose i know this isnt alot of info but i dont know alot about cards heres my system specs

HIS 5770 GDDR5 graphics card (sli rdy)
ASUS SABERTOOTH 990fx
BULLDOZER FX 8350 CPU
CORSAIR H100i COOLER
CORSAIR HX750 PSU
CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATNIUM 12gb (with cooler fans)

Thanks in advance for any help.
maybe i should stay with my HIS card and get another to SLI and save some money ?

Last edited:
You'll regret it instantly, especially with AMD. Their drivers are terrible, and no that isn't a fanboy exaggeration.

Seriously, don't waste your money. Just get something powerful in your budget. I would suggest an Nvidia card as well. 660ti is a good start.

ok i geuss your probebly right ..i actully have more problems with intel witch is why i sold my i7 i they used to be great until they got into quad's they seem to have major breakdown and fry issues i think intel went to far to fast, but yeah your right this isnt a fanboy convo ..il check out the 660ti now..

Um, what? They run cooler and consume less power than any AMD FX chip on the market. I own a 3960x and at 4.5GHz I was pulling less than 150w and cooling it with an H50 push/pull.

No offense, you are either talking out of your ass or you were doing something wrong. Intel's i7/i5 line has been superior in every way to AMD since their first generation hit the market.

That aside, the CPU has nothing to do with the GPUs in question. SLI and Crossfire both have their issues with compatibility and scaling along with driver support in general. AMD has a serious latency issue itself and they are trying to correct that but I have seen no such thing in the 13 drivers. Nvidia on the other hand has always had super stable drivers for a while and a few here can attest to that.

The 660ti is a decent card and would demolish Crossfire 5770 or Tri-fire 5770s in performance. Depends on your budget what we can recommend as the rest of your PC is good to go.

i did actully read that on a spec site maybe it was a series of weird events two of my freinds broke and my brothers broke twice and had to send back to shop (cpu) so i sold mine and went to amd maybe it wasnt a good move but i can say since i have ive had no issues at all and has exeeded my expectations.. (was running 955 black edition cpu prior to getting the fx 8core)

oh and thanks for that:
SLI = Nvidia
Crossfire = AMD/ATI
thing i didnt realise thats what it was ,now i can avoid sounding like an ediot abit hahanow i just have to find a cheap Asus GTX660 TI without braking the bank

Last edited:
i did actully read that on a spec site maybe it was a series of weird events two of my freinds broke and my brothers broke twice and had to send back to shop (cpu) so i sold mine and went to amd maybe it wasnt a good move but i can say since i have ive had no issues at all and has exeeded my expectations.. (was running 955 black edition cpu prior to getting the fx 8core)
Well whatever they were doing, they were doing it wrong. If they were OCing or anything like that and bought stuff or their computer from a shop then they probably didn't do the research necessary to make sure they wouldn't harm their systems.

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to sound like an elitist ass or anything, but just trying to make sure you aren't ill informed on the matter.

I went from a 955BE clocked at 4GHz to the i5 I'm running now in 09. Awaiting my new board (this is my backup system). Clock for clock the cheaper i5 had the clear advantage. Your FX is a good chip, don't get me wrong, but for the money better could have been had. As long as it does what YOU want it to do with no issues, that's all that matters.

oh and thanks for that:
SLI = Nvidia
Crossfire = AMD/ATI
thing i didnt realise thats what it was ,now i can avoid sounding like an ediot abit hahanow i just have to find a cheap Asus GTX660 TI without braking the bank

No big. Most people get it confused or think they are the same thing. Any 660ti is going to run you around the 300 dollar mark US, so whatever that equates to in Aus. I know hardware down there is generally higher than here. Even a GTX660 non-TI version would be better than 2 5770s in Crossfire if you have to go slightly cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom