My puter does not like flash drives

Audacity

Solid State Member
I am only having this problem on my computer with flash drives. All other plug and play devices work fine, including my phone and my two portable hard drives. First of all, the "scan and fix" option does not work on my computer even though it offers to do that for all flash drives it messes up on. It needs to "scan and fix" the flash drive after it stops reading it about 45-60 seconds after plugging it in. If I choose the scan and fix option it renders the flash drive completely unreadable. I usually have to just pull the drive out of the usb slot and plug it back in and "continue without scanning" -- then the files are readable for about one minute and I can save files to it, delete them,, etc. during that minute or so. :confused:

I have had to remove viruses and malware from this computer before, and I am wondering if something is screwy in the registry that only affects flash drives? I have checked my flash drive in other computers and it scans and fixes fine, and works like a charm in all other computers than mine. I bought a new flash drive and my computer treated the new flash drive the exact same way it was treating the old one. So, I took that new one back, because I am sure it isn't the flash drive that is the problem.

When I click on properties for the flash drive the security tab is missing from the window. There are a couple other tabs missing as well.

I am posting a couple screenshots so you can see what I am talking about.

Attachments

• scanfix.jpg
    scanfix.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Propertiestab.jpg
    Propertiestab.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 1
I am only having this problem on my computer with flash drives. All other plug and play devices work fine, including my phone and my two portable hard drives. First of all, the "scan and fix" option does not work on my computer even though it offers to do that for all flash drives it messes up on. It needs to "scan and fix" the flash drive after it stops reading it about 45-60 seconds after plugging it in. If I choose the scan and fix option it renders the flash drive completely unreadable. I usually have to just pull the drive out of the usb slot and plug it back in and "continue without scanning" -- then the files are readable for about one minute and I can save files to it, delete them,, etc. during that minute or so. :confused:

I have had to remove viruses and malware from this computer before, and I am wondering if something is screwy in the registry that only affects flash drives? I have checked my flash drive in other computers and it scans and fixes fine, and works like a charm in all other computers than mine. I bought a new flash drive and my computer treated the new flash drive the exact same way it was treating the old one. So, I took that new one back, because I am sure it isn't the flash drive that is the problem.

When I click on properties for the flash drive the security tab is missing from the window. There are a couple other tabs missing as well.

I am posting a couple screenshots so you can see what I am talking about.

Read this and try the solution:
Windows 7 Professional doesn't mount my usb flash drive anymore - Super User

If your formatting your flash drive on another computer make sure to do it correctly so windows 7 won't have issues trying to recognize it,

Run a scan with Malwarebytes Antimalware since you said you prevviosly had viruses on the system.

Could also try reinstalling your motherboard's chipset drivers.

Since it does itwith multiple flash drives and they work in other systems, we can rule out them as the issue.

MMike, The problem outlined there doesn't quite match what is happening, but I tried the solution anyway. My laptop does recognize the drive for about a minute before it stops reading the files on the drive. Also, the computer has not rebuilt the INFCACHE.1 file yet. I am still having the exact same problem with the flash drive I was having before.

Hi CarnageX,

I ran the full scan with Malwarebytes and it detected no problems at all. I am not a complete novice when it comes to computers, but I do not know what the chipset drivers do. As I said in the original post, all other usb devices (other than flash drives) work correctly in my computer. Could those drivers still be the problem?

Thanks

MMike, The problem outlined there doesn't quite match what is happening, but I tried the solution anyway. My laptop does recognize the drive for about a minute before it stops reading the files on the drive. Also, the computer has not rebuilt the INFCACHE.1 file yet. I am still having the exact same problem with the flash drive I was having before.

Ok have a look at this thread, follow along with what it says and give it a go.
It should be able to fix the issue, if it still does not, post back and I'll get with one of the super mods for help. :)

infcache.1 file where is it in Windows 7 ? USB ERRORS

Hi CarnageX,

I ran the full scan with Malwarebytes and it detected no problems at all. I am not a complete novice when it comes to computers, but I do not know what the chipset drivers do. As I said in the original post, all other usb devices (other than flash drives) work correctly in my computer. Could those drivers still be the problem?

Thanks

Chipset drivers are what contain drivers for USB/other interfaces on the motherboard.

If your system is custom-built, post your motherboard make/model; if it's a prebuilt system, then post the brand/model of the computer (or Service Tag # if it's a Dell).

Hi MMike,

I'm confused about the link you posted. Windows search is working fine. In the original link you gave me, it told me to delete the INFCACHE.1 file, which I did. That thread said the computer would rebuild the file. I looked in the location where I found the original INFCACHE file and could not find a new INFCACHE.1 file. Should I search the computer for that particular file?

CarnageX, my computer is a Gateway NV55C laptop.

I guess it has rebuilt the file. I just looked again.... Maybe it needed a restart to do it? Anyway, the file is there now.

Hi MMike,

I'm confused about the link you posted. Windows search is working fine. In the original link you gave me, it told me to delete the INFCACHE.1 file, which I did. That thread said the computer would rebuild the file. I looked in the location where I found the original INFCACHE file and could not find a new INFCACHE.1 file. Should I search the computer for that particular file?

CarnageX, my computer is a Gateway NV55C laptop.

If I am not mistaken, the windows 7 disc should have that file, if you have a a disc or iso, mount it up and look for the file on there.
If you find it copy it to the original location where it use to be.
Once you do that restart windows and see what happens, it should be able to work.

Back
Top Bottom