Want opinions on a build for a friend

Dauntae

Fully Optimized
A friend of mine wants me to build a system for her son for his birthday, I have roughly a $1200 budget to meet and need everything including monitor, What he wants is a gaming system but plans to do video editing, He's young but very advanced on what he likes to do and a VERY smart 13 yr old LOL but this is what he wants in a nut shell
Video editing (He has a passion with this)
Gaming
Up-gradable (Could SLI this build down the road and add more ram)
GTX660 (Hoping to get him the TI but not sure that will make the budget)
and mild over clocking (He's still learning) But I don't give him long to master this.
This is what I put together for a fast list but hope to refine it with what I get from this forum. What I would like from you is what would you change and why, He will be watching this forum too and he will also be building it for his first build with my help so all input is appreciated.
OH one other thing is he wants a case that is easiely portable because it will be moved between two houses so handles will be good (Thus the Tower I put on the list)
List so far
Tower
COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Newegg.com
Mother board
ASUS P8H77-V LE Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com
GPU Hoping to upgrade to the TI though)
EVGA 02G-P4-2660-KR GeForce GTX 660 Video Card - Newegg.com
Power supply
CORSAIR CX750M 750W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com
CPU
Intel Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770 - Newegg.com
Ram
Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX - Newegg.com
HD
Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX Internal Hard Drive - Newegg.com
optical
LG Model GH24NS95 24X DVD Burner - Bare Drive Black - Newegg.com
and Monitor
Acer G245HQLbd Black 23.6" 5ms Widescreen LED Monitor 300 cd/m2 ACM 100,000,000:1 (1000:1) - Newegg.com

This comes out to $1182.90 and it hasn't been decided if we will use win 7 or 8 yet but his birthday is in August so there is time to decide.

Dauntae

Well, you want him to OC yet you have a 3770 non K version and an H77 board that is non OCable.

You also don't need 750w for this build either. For even a 660ti SLI setup a 650w TX would suffice plenty.

The Storm has problems with actually putting decent cooling solutions in there. The best you might be able to get is an H80i due to how they have the center situated. I suggest getting a harness instead so he can use any case. I use this very one with my current rig which is pretty hefty (I'd say between 40 and 50lbs).
Geargrip - G2 PC Gamers Harness Products Model: GG-G2 [GG-G2] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come

Don't ever buy an Acer monitor or laptop. Ridiculously low quality and reliability. You can literally Google the horror stories of them going out right after warranty. Stick with Asus, Samsung, and Dell.

This is the rig I setup.

CPU:
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K - Newegg.com

Motherboard:
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

RAM:
G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR - Newegg.com

GPU:
EVGA 02G-P4-3660-KR GeForce GTX 660 Ti Video Card - Newegg.com

PSU:
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply - Newegg.com

HDD:
Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 Internal Hard Drive - Newegg.com

Case:
Corsair Carbide Series 200R Black Steel structure with molded ABS plastic accent pieces ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Newegg.com

Optical:
SAMSUNG Model SH-224BB DVD Burner - Newegg.com

LCD:
ASUS VS Series VS238H-P Black 23" 2ms HDMI LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor 250 cd/m2 50,000,000:1 - Newegg.com

Microsoft GFC-02050 Software - Newegg.com

I went with the 200r because it's a solid light case so he can move it around, I know with the harness it brings the rig to 1250 but if this is being purchased in the summer time then prices will have changed by then.
I went with the 3570k because it's more than plenty for any gaming or light learning editing needs. Also great with OCing. Later on when it comes to that you can get him a nice cooler. He will benefit more with the GPU being more powerful than having a good cooler to OC. He can learn with somebody watching over him how to OC and what to look for with the stock cooler.
I added the G.SKill RAM because the RAM that comes with the board is a promotion and wont be there for purchase.
660ti for obvious reasons, great card.
TX650 due to the fact that you can even run SLI 660ti with it just fine, and better quality than the CX.
Seagate HDD because it's cheaper with relatively the same performance.
Asus LCD because it's a nice size and 1080p for a cheap price.
Windows 7 because there is no point in learning 8.

One thing I'm wondering is if he will need a keyboard and mouse. The rig will have to be edited but I suggest having another rig be made a week or two before purchase to get the best deals and best prices. Everything will change after June.

Last edited:
Nice setup, Like I said that was a quick setup, I'm not a huge over clocker and not sure he will be either but wanted the potential to so was not sure of what hardware was right for it so I posted here. I went with the 660 for price but REALLY wanted the TI because I know its a great card and EVGA is a great brand too (It's all I will buy for myself.) OSRock I was weary about but at one time was made by Asus as a entry level board but it seems they have come up the ranks since then. I'll run this by him. He seems to know quit a bit but not sure how much he knows. I have yet to really know him so I hope to get him on here. I'm sure he will have some feedback too but will go with your build. The power supply you recomend is what I am running now and it's been flawless for me for gee I don't even remember when I got it. Thanks OH and my OCZ SSD is running great so far.

Dauntae

Last edited:
ASRock isn't part of Asus anymore as of 2009. The quality of boards being produced today reflect that. To prove that, I have an Extreme 6 X79 on the way and should be here Saturday :)
Not only that, but they aren't as expensive as Asus and their CS has been really friendly to me so far. As of right now, they have no idea I'm a hardware reviewer and think I'm just a regular customer.

My Vertex 2 is going good still too, but its replacement is in the same box as the aforementioned motherboard lol.

Wasn't sure about if Asus was still making them any more but remember when AsRock came on the market. Still running one of there boards in my second system ( I forget which MB though) I'm starting to feel old now LOL I was actually hoping you responded to this thread, You seem to be a bottomless pit of knowledge and I have been out of the loop since the 775 was the king LOL As you might notice in my sig. I think he will love your setup and thank you for the help.

Dauntae

Hardware, performance, cost effectiveness, tweaking, OCing, and benchmarking is ultimately my game. I love what I do :)

No problem, hopefully the build wont have to change much between now and then. Haswell is being released as well as a potential Kepler refresh which could change prices or availability of current products. We'll just have to see. When the time comes to hit the order button just make a new thread. I might remember this one.

I will review the order and make a new thread, I'm looking forward to this build and if I decide to upgrade I might just use this for myself.

The Storm has problems with actually putting decent cooling solutions in there. The best you might be able to get is an H80i due to how they have the center situated.

watercooling im unsure of, but i am using a storm scout and it has a hefty zalman cooler in it no problem. the handle on it is perfect. it isnt a top of the line case, but for its price i think it is very well finished. i recommend it.

Back
Top Bottom