Need advice on this build before I buy.

Jermanfu

Baseband Member
Hey guys. I've been looking around and mulling over what I want in my new build. My price range is about $2500. After about a month or so of looking and deciding on parts, I need another critique from you guys.

Please take a look at what I have below. If there is something you think I can cut back on or change for more efficient parts, or if from your experience certain parts won't work well together with something I have in here, please let me know!

Case:
Rosewill THOR V2 Gaming ATX Full Tower Computer Case, support up to E-ATX / XL-ATX, come with Four Fans - 1 x Front Red LED 230mm Fan, 1 x Top 230mm Fan, 1 x Side 230mm Fan, 1 x Rear 140mm Fan-Retail - Newegg.com

PS:
SeaSonic X-1250 1250W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

MOBO:
ASUS Sabertooth X79 Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

Graphics(Not SLI):
ZOTAC ZT-60101-10P GeForce GTX 680 Video Card - Newegg.com

Processor:
Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80619i73930K - Newegg.com

Memory:
Kingston HyperX XMP Blu Red Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model KHX16C10B1RK2/16X - Newegg.com

SSD:
SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC512B/WW Solid State Drive - Newegg.com

Optical:
LG Model UH12NS29 Black 12X Blu-ray Combo Drive - Newegg.com

Heat Sink (since the processor I have linked doesn't come with one):
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and AMD FM1/FM2/AM3+ - Newegg.com

The purpose is mainly high end gaming. I just want something that will be smooth, fast loading, and I won't have to upgrade for a while.

Thanks for the input. That's certainly why I asked. If you see something that you think is not a good fit, or is too much/little. Please by all means let me know. I'm open to some alternative suggestions.

Are you planning to do any overclocking and are you going to SLI your graphics in the future?

I probably won't be doing any OC and in the past a one card setup has always suited me fine as long as I keep my card updated every couple of years. So I'll probably not go with SLI.

Sabertooth, definitely too much. I just purchased the ASRock Extreme 6 for my 3960x and should have it Saturday. I suggest that or a lower end Asus instead.

ASRock X79 Extreme6 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com
ASUS P9X79 LE ATX Intel Motherboard with USB BIOS - Newegg.com

Just noticed the RAM. You want a 4 stick configuration for quad channel.

Although 32GB is highly overkill, your budget after knocking some things down a little will allow it.

CORSAIR XMS 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX32GX3M4A1600C11 - Newegg.com

If you just don't want to spend the price on that much then this kit will suffice.

CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 - Newegg.com

Although in any cicumstance the 2GB 680 would be fine, I suggest going 4GB and eVGA.

EVGA 04G-P4-2686-KR GeForce GTX 680 w/ Backplate 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - Newegg.com

Next up, the PSU. The one you have chosen, probably in my books one of the best you can buy. It's so overkill though. A single 680 rig will work perfectly and cooly on 650w worth of quality PSU.

If you never plan on going SLI in the future then get this unit. Much cheaper, and will power your system 100% fine.
SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold ((SS-650KM Active PFC F3)) 650W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

IF you plan on SLI then I suggest this one. Slightly overkill still even for 2 680s but hey why not.
SeaSonic X Series X-850 (SS-850KM Active PFC F3) 850W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

Finally for the cooler. The 212 is a great little CPU for stock applications but just doesn't cool the SB-E chips well. If you plan on staying stock clocks or mild OC this will be the ticket.
CORSAIR H60 refresh Water Cooler - Newegg.com

If you want to crank the chip later for whatever reason.
NZXT RL-KRX60-01 280mm Ultra Performance Liquid CPU Cooler - Newegg.com

Finally the case. That case is way too big. Do you really need such a large case?

Last edited:
Thanks so much Mguire. This is exactly the kind of feedback and critique I was hoping to receive. I'll look through those links and make some changes. I appreciate you guys taking some time to respond.

No problem.

I don't want to put a kink in anything, but you could save even more money if you went with a 3570k or 3770k based setup which will give you the same performance if not more in games. Those chips are based on Ivy Bridge which is slightly faster in single threaded apps (aka games). I'm not saying the 3930k wont demolish anything in it's path, just giving you a cheaper option if you wanted it.

That's good to know about those processors you mentioned. I wasn't aware of that kind of performance. I'll certainly look into that as well!

They are on the 1155 / Z77 platform. Cheaper CPUs, and cheaper boards. Dual channel memory performance will give you the same real world performance as quad channel at a much less cost. For gaming, a quad is all you need. Just a suggestion to save money if you want to.

Back
Top Bottom