Video Card upgrade for my Dell XPS 8300-7007BK

Haha yeah it looks like my budget needs to be more around $150-$200. That's not an issue as long as I am getting something good and that will (hopefully) last a long time, you know?

Is there anyway to know what kind of PSU is in my computer right now? Or would I have to contact Dell and find out?

Also, as far as video cards and what I am looking for, do you have any recommendations?

Thanks!

or this for same price but more watts....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020

in ur price range now.... i would go with......

EVGA 01G-P4-2652-KR SuperClocked GeForce GTX 650 Video Card - Newegg.com

and

SeaSonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

just little over 200, and yes 660 is better but u have a budget of 200 sooo yeah, unless u willing go up more then ok :)

Last edited:
Seasonic makes the Corsair TX brand, whereas CWT (a lesser brand) makes the CX series, as the quality is dropped quite a bit. All mentioned are suitable for the task but if it was up to me I would be all over the M12II 620. It and the TX650 are practically the same unit, but the M12II is modular which will help with the clutter and air flow in your cramped Dell XPS case.

All high end single GPU solutions today can be run on that PSU, so it'll last you quite a while.

After that I suggest at least the GTX 660 for gaming purposes. That or the 660ti mixed with your 2600k should get you all nice and set for high quality gaming.
Thanks again. So that is a little out of my price range. Is there anything else reliable/good quality that could still achieve the results I am looking for? Maybe somewhere around $120-$150?

Well I am going to buy the upgraded PSU you mentioned earlier, but would the 650ti produce good results?
What resolution do you play at?
It'll be adequate at up to 1080p single monitgor but don't expect to play on ultra on demanding games, especially stuff like Far Cry 3, Metro 2033, BF3, Crysis series etc.

What resolution do you play at?
It'll be adequate at up to 1080p single monitgor but don't expect to play on ultra on demanding games, especially stuff like Far Cry 3, Metro 2033, BF3, Crysis series etc.
Well my current video card makes me have to run games at like 1280x780 (or whatever the closest resolution is). I have a HP W2371d 23-inch LEDBacklit LCD Monitor that I recently bought and I feel that with the GTX 650 (maybe the ti) I can be able to actually enjoy it. I'd prefer to run a larger resolution, but if I can use high settings at 1280x780 that will work too.

You could do medium settings to high settings at 1080p with the 650ti. If you don't buy a PSU what is your max budget for GPU only? Could work around getting the PSU to get a better GPU.

You could do medium settings to high settings at 1080p with the 650ti. If you don't buy a PSU what is your max budget for GPU only? Could work around getting the PSU to get a better GPU.
Okay well just for your reference, I contacted microsoft store and they said my current computer has PSU of 460 watts. As far as being able to handle an improved graphics card, that simulator on the newegg website said I would need about 350-370 watts for the 650ti and 325-350 for the 650. Without needing to buy a new PSU, I can spend up to $120. I found the 650 for $99.99 after rebate on amazon. But, like I said before, I am not the most hardcore gamer on PC (my WoW days are over), but I would like to be able to play with no lag and medium to high settings. I used to play WoW on a 5 year old Toshiba laptop that averaged about 15-20 fps on the lowest settings possible lol, so I know all about bad performance.

Well times have changed with WoW and it's a little more demanding.

One thing PSU calculators don't take into consideration is quality, which is where people get highly confused. You can have a 1000w Apevia piece of junk in your machine and hit it with a 500w load and it could blow just because it's junk. Think of it this way, if you paid somebody to wire your house would you want them to cheap out and buy the crappiest 20a cable for all the rooms? It's the same with a PSU. Quality parts can make a 550w Seasonic Gold have a 100w headroom and handle a 690 where a 700w junk name can't even handle 400w without getting warm.

That being said, you can handle up to a 660 with your current wattage, but the quality is what worries me. You said you were buying the PSU but I'm to understand this current budget is PSU and GPU together. This being said, I believe the 650ti is your best bet and if you can spare the extra change and are buying a PSU too then the 660.

Back
Top Bottom