OK HDD's are getting very hot now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
one of the things i did see is that theyare 2 smaller drives , im running a couple of 200+ giggers and 1 dvd writer and a cd rw ... see there isnt enought info to really get a hold on what the problem might be for sure. but i think a new psu may be the fix???

hmm...yes it would help to know what PSU he is on exactly. I know Praetor is running 4*160GB drives, and im pretty sure he isn't using anything bigger than a 500watter. Also has 3500+ OC'd to 2.65GHz...

There's just too many things that could be causing heat, could be as simple as he needs more airflow in case. he said himself the case is 2mm steel and it heats up fast. how hot i dunno...but i imagine with 2 processors, 2 HDD's, and all the rest of his hardware it gets pretty toasty.

if the info is better , than we can be sure to help, otherwise we are just going in circles, buti hope that this info may help others out there that cnat understand why they maybe getting hot under the rails (so to speak). A small psu coupled with a lot of hardware running is going to creat heat! fans can cool it off but it doesnt fix the real problem.

Single Western Digital 80GB 7200RPM 8MB Buffer, running on SATA150. get ~74GB/s bandwidth with it, was getting like 30GB/s when i had it on ATA133 lmao. So glad i decided to try SATA, made a big difference performance wise.
Yeah but as we saw, it's not the sustained read rate, just the burst read rate, so we really aren't gaining much in performance with this Serillel since it takes more time in post to register the 'sata drive', but it is a nice cut down on wires :p

Nubius said:
Yeah but as we saw, it's not the sustained read rate, just the burst read rate, so we really aren't gaining much in performance with this Serillel since it takes more time in post to register the 'sata drive', but it is a nice cut down on wires :p

yah the actual "average" read or whatever the program calls is says 50.5GB/s, still better than my first 30GB/s though. What's the point of the burst speed test?

My computer actually boots faster in post though, because using ATA133 sometimes it hung for 10+secs trying to read my drive (it was sharing a channel with my CD-Drive. I'm not sure what caused this as sometimes it went right through POST.

ok you guys lost me on this one???
SATA...Raid...etc..hmmm lets see heat was a factor here some where right?
hey just pullin your chains ok?

yah the actual "average" read or whatever the program calls is says 50.5GB/s, still better than my first 30GB/s though. What's the point of the burst speed test?
I have no idea what the burst speed is supposed to mean. The Average read stayed the same for me on my harddrive, but I've already come to the conclusion it's not ATA133 since it's only doing like 23mb/sec compared to my 80gb storage drive which did like 65mb/sec or so, so I really need to get a new HD and attach the SATA to that. Although unlike you, it takes longer now for post since it has to load up the 'SATA drive' because in post it'd load from my HD like that! ::snaps in the air!:: :p

Oh well, I need to get a new HD anyway as this 20gb has about had it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom