Techist - Tech Forum - View Single Post - Case Fans to PSU or to motherboard?

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 06:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rawan AbuSalman
Ultra Techie

Default Re: Case Fans to PSU or to motherboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawan AbuSalman View Post
Hey guys,

I recently bought the Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced case (CM 690 II Advanced (USB 3.0 version) - Cooler Master).

Receiving my Asus P8Z77-V LE mobo tomorrow (ASUS P8Z77-V LE Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com)

I've been reading a lot of varying opinions on the matter; some say it's best not to draw more power than needed from the mobo, and to attach the fans to the PSU directly, while others disagree.

I understand that connecting to mobo allows fan speed control while connecting directly to PSU has fans running at full speed all the time.

I'm not sure if I want to be able to control the speed, but I would assume that's a good thing to have, no?

What do you guys think?

My other question is this: mobo has 2 4-pin chassis fan headers and 1 3-pin power fan header.

The case comes with front and top 140mm fans and a rear 120mm fan, all of which are 3-pin. (They're all attached to molex connectors, so I can connect to PSU if I want to).

First, what exactly is the power fan? From what I understood, I can connect a chassis fan to it, but wouldn't offer any speed control...is that right?

Second, why are the chassis headers on the mobo 4-pin while all my fans are 3-pin? Could it be that I can't control the speed? (just guessing here)

Thanks!
Is there any disadvantage (other than acoustic) to fans running at full speed all the time? Or is it better if their speed is regulated?

And what about the power fan header? Does that also offer fan speed control?

3.4GHz i5 3570K / Asus P8Z77-V LE / 8 GB RAM / 120 GB SSD / 3 TB HD / 2 TB NAS
AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB / Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced / 32" Samsung LCD
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
13" MacBook Air (mid-2012) / 2.0 GHz Core i7 / 256 GB SSD / 8 GB RAM
Toshiba Satellite M645 / Intel Core i3 2.53GHz / 4 GB RAM / Win 7 Ultimate X64
Sony VAIO VGN-CS320J / Intel Core 2 Duo 2.1Ghz / 4 GB RAM / Win 7 Ultimate X64
Rawan AbuSalman is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.