Power supply recommendations? (Dual CPU, 3HD Raid 5, 32GB Ram)

smashedpumpkins

In Runtime
I've spent the past few days with some people building a few servers with the below specifications. We have 3 servers with the hardware below. (They'll run Win Server 2012 and hyperv) I didn't select the hardware myself. The case came with some 480W power supplies that weren't worth anything. One popped and melted the power cable with a little load. (Luckily no other damage) Another didn't work and the last works but won't for long. It's been a long time since I've built a PC myself and I would appreciate any advice that can be offered regarding some new PSU's. We don't need anything special, just some powerful enough to handle each of the machines at full load. No graphics cards to worry about. Thanks!

Motherboard: SUPERMICRO MBD-H8DCL-IF-O ATX Server Motherboard Dual 1207-pin Socket C32 AMD SR5690 DDR3 1600/1333/1066 - Newegg.com
3 Hard drives: Western Digital VelociRaptor WD5000HHTZ - Newegg.com
Raid Card: HighPoint RocketRAID 640 Controller Card - Newegg.com
Two Heatsinks: Noctua NH-U9DO A3 AMD Opteron, 4 Dual Heat-pipe SSO Bearing Quiet CPU Cooler - Newegg.com
32GB of Ram: Kingston Server Memory Model KVR1333D3D4R9SK2/16G - Newegg.com
Case /w PSU: Athena Power RM-4U4038B48 Black Server Case - Newegg.com
2 AMD Opteron 4280: AMD Opteron 4280 Valencia 2.8GHz 8MB L3 Cache Socket C32 95W 8-Core Server Processor OS4280WLU8KGGUWOF - Newegg.com

You may have something else going on causing these to fry. The setup you have going on shouldn't cap those 480W units and Athena isn't really known to pop that easy.

Super efficiency in the server environment is key. Since you had Athena units I guess we'll stray away from server Athena units and go with Seasonic. I would have chose a smaller 550w version that's cheap but they don't offer dual 8pin for the CPU.

SeaSonic SS-660XP 660W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

No, you need dual 8pin CPU connectors to properly power the Opterons.

You may have something else going on causing these to fry. The setup you have going on shouldn't cap those 480W units and Athena isn't really known to pop that easy.

Super efficiency in the server environment is key. Since you had Athena units I guess we'll stray away from server Athena units and go with Seasonic. I would have chose a smaller 550w version that's cheap but they don't offer dual 8pin for the CPU.

SeaSonic SS-660XP 660W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

No, you need dual 8pin CPU connectors to properly power the Opterons.

I didn't think we would have any trouble either as the total wattage is far below 480W. We were forced to use adapters to power the two 8-pin CPU ports. Are adapters taboo? They're molex to 8-pin.

Last edited:
Actually, this board requires both. 1 8pin per CPU.

Straight from their PDF

Power Connectors

A 24-pin main power supply connector(JPW1)
and two 8-pin CPU/Memory PWR connectors
(JPW2/JPW3) on the motherboard. These
power connectors meet the SSI EPS 12V
specification. In addition to the 24-pin ATX
power connector, the 12V 8-pin CPU PWR
connectors at JPW2 and JPW3 must also
be connected to your power supply. See the
table on the right for pin definitions.

Warning: To prevent damage to the power
supply or motherboard, please use a power
supply that contains both a 24-pin and 8-pin
power connectors. Be sure to connect these