Fan Cooling Help Needed Full Tower NZXT Phantom (pics included)

nirv23

Beta member
Hey everyone, I need expert advice about a good way to setup this case for best air cooling. As you can see in the HWmonitor pic, my max temps after running Prime95 for maybe 10 seconds jump from 38-42 degrees Celsius (under no stress) to almost 70C. This also happens when playing my games which results in occasional crashes. The setup resulting in these temps is actually my worst so far. My best is with a max of 55C on one or more of the cores.

I barely OC the cpu using the Gigabyte tweaker to 3.5 Ghz, up from 3.3Ghz. I have a Thermaltake Silent 1156 cpu cooler on the cpu. Being that I have a cpu cooler and I barely OC the cpu, I would prefer that maxed out gaming not push my cpu over 50C.

Does anyone have fan setup ideas for me? To help, I'll list my previous and current fan setups, and the pictures of the case can be used to help you understand.

Overall # of fans: 3 x 200mm and 3 x 120mm

Current setup: Exhaust - Top 2 (200mm), Rear (120mm) ; Intake - Side 2 (200mm and 120mm), Front (120mm)

Previous 1: Exhaust - Top 1 (200mm), Rear (120mm) ; Intake - Top 1 (closest to front - 200mm), Side 2 (200mm and 120mm), Front (120mm)
Previous 2: Exhaust - Top 2 (200mm) ; Intake - Rear (120mm), Side 2 (200mm and 120mm), Front (120mm)
Previous 3: Exhaust - Side 2 (200mm and 120mm), Front (120mm); Intake - Rear (120mm), Top 2 (200mm)
Previous 4: Exhaust - Side 3 (200mm and 2 x 120mm), Front (120mm) ; Intake - Top 2 (200mm)
Previous 5: Exhaust - Side 2 (120mm), Front (120mm) ; Intake - Side (200mm), Top 2 (200mm)

Important NOTE: I always faced the cpu fan in the correct direction for proper airflow (i.e. if exhausts were at bottom/front I faced cpu fan exhaust that direction, if exhausts were top/rear I flipped fan exhaust to face that direction).

I can't remember what my best setup was. It was Previous 3 or 4 as my best guess. Computer pics are in an album link (below) at imgur.com. The HWmonitor pic is linked (below) shows my temps with current setup seconds after stopping a Prime95 torture test.

http://imgur.com/a/L9CAr >>>>case setup pictures

EDIT* - here is link to CPU cooler on Newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106139

imgur: the simple image sharer >>>hwmonitor picture

First things first, the 2500k doesn't need to be overclocked. And actually, the turbo boost is higher than 3.5 for any apps that need it.
Secondly, that CPU cooler isn't made for overclocking and is too tiny. I'm also going to guess that you are either using crap paste or it needs to be reseated. Make sure you apply only a grain of rice sized amount of paste in the center of the IHS and place the heatsink level on the CPU without turning it. The pressure will spread for you without air bubbles.

Next, you want back and top to be exhaust, front and side to be intake. Simple as that.

On that cooler I would not expect load temps to be 50c or less. I would say they should level out around 60-65.

I've already tried the rear/top exhaust and everything else intake.

So, essentially your saying, the cpu cooler sux, don't OC the 2500k at all, and I most likely used too much paste and/or it's seated wrong.

The paste is Arctic Silver.

I guess the only option I have is reseat the cooler.

It's the best setup for any regular case. Most cases are made for airflow in this direction.

Yes. I'm not saying you shouldn't OC the 2500k, but rather it isn't needed and if you are don't do it on that cooler.

Good stuff.

Try doing this and make sure you apply the paste the way I mentioned. It's the best method so you don't get any air pockets. Even still, I wouldn't expect temps to be too much lower than 60c load.

If you do really want a cooler, then I would get the hyper 212,its good for the price, I went from 62C max temps to 53C max, I also applied some arctic silver.

Back
Top Bottom