CPU processor trouble

sacrifyse

Beta member
First off, im running Linux Mint 12, im also new to Linux making everything much more complicated. I have always played a lot of games on my computer and recently purchaced a laptop with intentions to upgrade it. My processor seems to not be able to handle much of my computing needs, and im looking to replace it.

Toshiba Satellite C655D-S5509
AMD E-300 APU with RADEON HD graphics

Would anyone be able to help me by providing the imformation I need, in order to choose a processor that will work with my computer? I dont know the specs, im sure they are somewhere on the internet.

Im not sure which specs have to match from my current processor to an upgrade besides the socket. Maybe someone who has the same computer

When you buy a laptop you are pretty much stuck with the specs you purchase which is why we stress the need for self built PCs due to this situation. In your case I believe the APU is soldered on to the board so there isn't any hope of actually replacing or upgrading. The graphics unit is part of the APU so you can't upgrade that either.

what about overclocking it. I followed several linux/debian tutorials and the one that finally worked wouldnt change the speed, or show me the fan speed

I'm afraid you are kinda screwed there too. If you were on Windows I could say try the AMD Overdrive tool but I doubt that would work either.

You have to understand the AMD E series is much like Intel's Atom CPUs. They aren't meant to get hot or pull a lot of power. That being said, overclocking from a technical standpoint is out of the question. The cooling solution and VRMs wouldn't be up to the task even if you could.

Back
Top Bottom