OK HDD's are getting very hot now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never remove your side door from the PC and operate the system like that. Your letting all kinds of interference into the case. This is one of the first things they teach you in a tech school.

BTW- Your comments about my comments antagonize the starting of a flame war just as much.

I said those comments because people seem to think a RAID 0 config wont get hot. The high throughputs I listed should tell you the kind of heat they produce.

Besides the fact, my case is 2.0mm steel.. The heat absorbs into the case and doesn't dissipate.

I am going to upgrade my case to the X-Navigator, and see how things go with that.

Then I shall make the decision to get a hdd cooler or not.

Nvidia fan boy said:
anybody ever mentioned a power supply? thats the first thing that makes a HD hot. try upgrading to a bigger HD.

??? care to explain ?? i never heard of that b4.:curious:

it takes a bit of the old school form here..volts , amps etc...and the current you pull generates heat and drives pull a lot of current to operate them ...which = heat ! a small power supply will push more current than it can run (watts)...if you power supply can only run a max of 250 and your system requires more than you will see a heat problem in the units that require the most amps(watts) ...

Smokin-A.I. said:
it takes a bit of the old school form here..volts , amps etc...and the current you pull generates heat and drives pull a lot of current to operate them ...which = heat ! a small power supply will push more current than it can run (watts)...if you power supply can only run a max of 250 and your system requires more than you will see a heat problem in the units that require the most amps(watts) ...

but a standard 80GB 72KRPM 8MBbuffer drive running on SATARAID 150 will only require a normal amount of voltage correct? My rails on my PSU are 5.0, 3.36, 11.92 almost all day long even under stress...so i think that's why my HD doesn't heat up. correct? i imagine Chaos has a pretty bg PSU to run his rig as it requires more power than a "normal" rig. which should decrease needed current and in the end excess heat. might be wrong though...

the older rigs demanded more heat. and if you draw more current w/ a faster hd then your psu will get hot. also if your not carefull then it will fry your mobo too cause your drwain more current than your psu can handle.

thats pretty close ... i have seen where the newer 3.2's will fry a new mobo in seconds if the psu is 350 or less..there are a few factors involved here that arent mentioned. like there are 2 hdd's but what else is being run at the same time? im running 2 hdds and 2 dvd burners at the same time and my cpu is multi on 3-4 projects also . this means a lot of power at the same time , yes the faster hdds are better for seek times but their configs are different than sata raids.. you must remember that sata rund both drives at the same time which draws twice the power as a single 10k unit!

Smokin-A.I. said:
thats pretty close ... i have seen where the newer 3.2's will fry a new mobo in seconds if the psu is 350 or less..there are a few factors involved here that arent mentioned. like there are 2 hdd's but what else is being run at the same time? im running 2 hdds and 2 dvd burners at the same time and my cpu is multi on 3-4 projects also . this means a lot of power at the same time , yes the faster hdds are better for seek times but their configs are different than sata raids.. you must remember that sata rund both drives at the same time which draws twice the power as a single 10k unit!

that makes sense i think. i never worried about PSU and current as my HD is running cold and PSU is still stable. but i imagine it can create quite a problem for more than 2HD's.

btw welcome to the forums:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom