hi all id like your oppiions on my upgrade choices cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

anthony1985

Baseband Member
Hi ya all, well i upgrading id just like to ask your advice on a few matters.

First of all im running a an athlon xp 2500, 2x 256m ram, nvidia nforce2 mobo integrated graphics, samsung 160gb hd, thermaltake 420w purepower ps enclosed in a thermaltake xaser III case. Stock fans 7 in total changed a couple for different models.

Ive nver attempted to play a game on this machine due to the graphics which is integrated, im wondering if it is worth while upgrading to an athlon 64 3200 with a ABIT kv8-MAX3 mobo. As for graphics card im not sure hoping u can give me a few ideas on that matter aswell. Ive got say £140 (uk pounds) max for a card and want a good gaming pc is this achievable in what i mentioned above, as i want far cry, doom III etc....

2 cards i looked at on the net are radeon 9800pro 128mb £135.99
geforce FX 5900xt 128mb £137.99

Do u think its wise of me to upgrade the cpu is it worth it?

Please reply new to the site cheers.

if your gona go for the 64s u will have to go with a socket 939 and they arent cheap atm. If i were you i would wait till the january sales cos everything should come down around then. for the graphics for that much money the 9800 pro is the best but for about a extra 50-100 i would say teh 6600gt or the 6800gt if u can stretch to it becuase its well worth the extra money.

Ok i was just reading on the net that an athlon 2500 can get clocked upto a max of 2.7ghz so i was wondering what u reckon my system could manage.

motherboard is a nvidia nforce2 k7n2g-l with 2x HYNIX pc 2700u 256 ddr 333mhz ram.

Ive never clocked before would love to give it a go if someone could explain to me how, first of all though has it got potential to stop me from buying an athlon 3200 64 and new mobo.

(get back to me on this im really interested)

anthony1985 said:
Ok i was just reading on the net that an athlon 2500 can get clocked upto a max of 2.7ghz so i was wondering what u reckon my system could manage.

motherboard is a nvidia nforce2 k7n2g-l with 2x HYNIX pc 2700u 256 ddr 333mhz ram.

Ive never clocked before would love to give it a go if someone could explain to me how, first of all though has it got potential to stop me from buying an athlon 3200 64 and new mobo.

(get back to me on this im really interested)

First off a 2.7GHz Athlon XP setup is not really comparable to a stock 64 3200. why? because the 3200 is 64-bit and has MUCH more potential than the dying XP line of chips. Your best bet is to go with the 64bit rig.

but back to overclocking. Your overclock depends on your MOBO, CPU, RAM, PSU mainly. If any of those has a weakness it's probably your RAM. Most PC2700 will overclock to 200MHz (providing it is good quality) anything above those speeds is pure lock of the draw. Your CPU needs to be unlocked (BIOS will probably tell you that), and your PSU needs to be at least 300watts with stable rails. If it is below a 300watter i would not suggest overclocking. Also your mobo has to support overclocking features like fsb adjusting, voltage options, RAM0FSB settings, RAM timings, the works. If you have met all those requirememnts you should be able to overclock. but before you do...upgrade from stock cooling as well...overclocking provides ALOT of heat at higher voltages and a stock HSF will not cut it.

i say the xp line will do you fine, especially for the next 2-3 years if looking for a system to last 4-6 then go 64... an XP overclocked can easily perform on par with a 64bit, and 64bit applications arent truly necessary or existent as of yet... nor will they proliferate too quickly is my premonition.

and as long as you are staying socket A look at the dp102 cooler for your cpu if you want to overclock.

Leonidas said:
i say the xp line will do you fine, especially for the next 2-3 years if looking for a system to last 4-6 then go 64... an XP overclocked can easily perform on par with a 64bit, and 64bit applications arent truly necessary or existent as of yet... nor will they proliferate too quickly is my premonition.

a disputable opinion, but one that is logical. for the most part people don't use 64bit programs as of yet. i do know people that do though (just not many). For him i think the XP line will do fine, i have yet to "need" 64bit apps as well.

Cheers everyone for the information i decided to go for a 64bit 3200 with an ABIT kv8-MAX3 mobo and a radeon 9800pro.

Its costing me £390 inc fitting what do u think, and how well will this card play far cry and doom III?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom