Upgrading my micro tower PC...need some suggestions.

Your post wasn't confusing at all. If you want to install Windows off the external DVD drive there is a 50/50 chance it will work or not. I don't personally own that board or your external so I can't tell you for sure. By putting Windows on a flash drive with the tool I named off (which you can use that external drive to do it) it is pretty much guaranteed to work. All you need is a 4GB or larger flash drive to use. I can't possibly thing of anything else you would want to boot into besides an OS with it.

Ok thanks for the reply. I think I might just grab a SATA DVD-R since they're cheap enough.

One more question that I've been thinking about....

Since I'm going with the FX8350 and 16GB of ram...is it necessary that I upgrade my GPU? I don't game too much, and my rig is mainly for video editing/3D work. I currently have an old NVidia 9800GT in there. Will my system only be bottlenecked for gaming, or will having that old 9800GT effect my computer in other ways?

Can you recommend a good upgrade in the $100-150 range?

Thanks for all the help guys. It's been great.

Thanks again for all the help. I went ahead and ordered a new case that has support for 4 fans. It comes pre-installed with a rear 120mm fan but I'd like to add more. I have the option to add 1 front and 2 side fans.

Any good cheap suggestions? Do I need to add 3 more? Fans are cheap enough, I figure it can't hurt.

Thanks in advance!

Back
Top Bottom