Need help to choose between building new computer or trying to fix current one.

This. It's usually recommended against touching the registry unless you know what you're doing.

Sure, you guys might not have had any problems with CCleaner and the registry cleaner, but it's not really necessary either. You're not really going to gain any performance by removing a few registry entries, unless that's actually the root of the problem (which rarely it is). I used to use the registry option in CCleaner as well; but as of late, when I do use CCleaner, I don't touch the registry option.

That is a good point about the registry, as i do check the entries before i delete them, and i back them up every time as well.

however, it does help when you need to get rid of registry keys from uninstalled software, i have had a few drivers that left behind registry info that would not reinstall a later version properly, because that information was still there. Same goes for some programs. For some reason, Alcohol 120% in particular i have problems with, yet i don't know anyone else that does..

That is a good point about the registry, as i do check the entries before i delete them, and i back them up every time as well.

however, it does help when you need to get rid of registry keys from uninstalled software, i have had a few drivers that left behind registry info that would not reinstall a later version properly, because that information was still there. Same goes for some programs. For some reason, Alcohol 120% in particular i have problems with, yet i don't know anyone else that does..

Like I said, rarely does it happen that it's absolutely necessary to do so ;).

And you know what you're looking for. The average user doesn't, and will just hit "remove all," possibly without a backup.

Like I said, rarely does it happen that it's absolutely necessary to do so ;).

And you know what you're looking for. The average user doesn't, and will just hit "remove all," possibly without a backup.

i told them to always make a backup :p

you cant fix stupid.

so my parents computer for example. ccleaner installed. they dont know what that is. i tell them to run malwarebytes and thats it. i can come over and fix everything else. op said this is something that he does anyways. i was telling him a better way. i would never recommend or try to explain to my parents these other things. or anyone else who wouldnt know. the error that op explicitly describes can probably be solved by cleaning the registry.

The problem is if you have such a botched up install that you actually NEED to fix the registry then you will continue to have problems later due to unforeseen things that will require a fresh install anyways. I used to always tell my dad this, skip the damn middle man and do a fresh install. It's just common sense that if you have so many issues that the registry actually need tweaking to begin with then a fresh install is your best friend.

And pp, it's more of like something not getting removed. I.e alcohol 120% looks to see if you have had a trial installed before, if you clean the registry before you reinstall, you can continue to use the trial. The once in a blue moon I need to make a backup at least.

Back
Top Bottom