New fan vs Fan Adapters vs new HSF

maddangerous

In Runtime
hey all, got a problem here and i need a hand.

My CPU fan is slowly dying, and im super strapped for cash, i can spend around 30 USD tops to fix the issue. It is a Socket 939 AMD Athlon 64 3500+ (2.2 Ghz) i'm not overclocking, i can't with a stock HP/Compaq motherboard.

i have 3 possible options here at the moment (as i see it):

1. get a 70mm fan, put it on and call it good. (meh)
2. get a fan adapter (70mm to Xmm) and a new fan, put it on.
3. get a new HSF entirely, which i would probably want to replace the fan(s) on also, but haven't decided on that, might keep the stock fan. it really depends on which HSF i pick and the fan that comes with it.

ok so number 1 is meh because i cant seem to find a decent, reputable fan company in the size i need (70mm). i would reeaaalllyy like a Noctua fan, and they dont make a 70mm from what i've seen. I am open to suggestions on this however.

number 2.. well this is where i lose myself. basically i'm wondering, since i would use the adapter (if i got it) on a CPU heat sink, would there be aerodynamic problems that might, say, raise my CPU temps overall, or basically impede overall performance? and in this case, would the fan being set to either push/pull matter?

if i can in the near future i will experiment with this...

number 3, well, i'm open to suggestions on as well, i have done some browsing around. i need to find out how much space i have in my case, which is a cooler master wave master. I also just need to research it more in general.

so i'm trying figure out which of these options is the best. i don't care about difficulty either. i'm also going to be using Folding@home again soon, so i need to be able to keep the CPU relatively cold for long periods of time, which is why im considering a new HSF in the first place

to give you an idea of temps right now, i have google chrome open with 4 tabs, CPUID Hardware monitor (fan dying, need to see speeds :p) rainmeter, ATi catalyst, and avast! free. all that is using ~15-25% of CPU, ~46% of ram, and im hovering around 30 to 35 degrees Celsius on CPU temp. if you want to see full hardware temps, if that matters, let me know and i will post a pic with CPUID.

~thanks in advance, and sorry for the mouthful, i'm a detail oriented person :lol:

Pretty decent temps with a fan that is supposedly dieing.

I wouldn't really bother running F@H on that CPU. With work units today it makes me wonder if you would even complete a WU in time. As for a heatsink, you could look into the CM 212 EVO. Cheap and decent tower cooler that will cool your CPU easily. I wouldn't bother with adapters as all that can get costly and messy.

I would suggest an H50 but can't due to the fact that your case only has 80mm fans. Having such an old case makes things hard.

i know :/ what does the H50 use for a size? i am going to be modding this case for a couple bigger fans, and making the holes for the front intake either bigger or cutting them out entirely. and trying to find/make the bracket for the top I/O portion, as that doesnt work.

I should still be able to complete a work unit, i was doing fine about... 3-4 months ago. and there are still things that can use my gpu, that ran fine.

It does suck having an old case, but i friggin love this Wavemaster. ill keep it forever :D probly going to turn it into a HTPC when i get the chance to build a new system, definitely not putting an overclocked system into this case. the cooling is just lacking.

so you would say grab the new HSF?

How is it that adaptors get messy? i was also considering them for the exhaust fans, so in terms of that how do they affect airflow? i would think it would be slightly impeded...

Edit: and yes, temps arent bad, but that isnt under load, the skyrocket. it jsut makes HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE noises every few minutes, and it is enough of an excuse to change it up a little bit ;)

H50 uses 120mm fans. You could always do like what I've considered and use a bracket to mount it in the 5.25 bay. I don't use optical drives so it made sense for me.

Adapters pretty much compress the air into a smaller hole and just look tacky. You could get an 80mm Noctua for the back if you don't modify it, and modify the front for a nice 120 or 140. I put a 140 in the front of my Raidmax Scorpio and it made all the difference in cooling. (Yes, I've had my old ass case since 2002 too lol).

As for WUs, folding on the GPU also requires GPU power. I wouldn't fold unless I had at least a dual core. You can snag X2s for like 20 bucks used these days. I got my 3800+ that replaced my fried 4200+ for 25 off CL. OCs like a champ too under water.

Now that I think about it, they don't make a S939 bracket for the H50.

yeah i can agree adaptors look tacky. i might mod the back exhaust for 92mm, not sure what i can do for the front. (noctua's all the way around though in the future :p)

yeah about a X2.. been tryingto find one, ebay has been pricey, craigslist is non-existent with the particular product im looking for. i can take up to a 4800+ IIRC as well, i just cant find one for under like $120, which really sucks, as i can still play a lot of stuff @ decent graphics quality too. so if i can find a dual core... :D

Illnpost some links to what I was looking at (cooling wise) and see what you think. I'm pretty set on replacing the fan with a noctua though.

Back
Top Bottom