Test boot not working

walkpdp

Solid State Member
Hello, this is my first time building a computer. I have the motherboard sitting on a cardboard box with the CPU, CPU fan, RAM, and power supply plugged in. Both the 24 pin and 4x4atx cables from the PSU are plugged into the motherboard. I have tried with and without ram. A VGA cable is plugged into the monitor from the motherboard ( no separate video card) And the small speaker with 4 pins in plugged in. I turn on the PSU and try to short the power pin by touching it with a screwdriver but nothing happens at all. I followed the newegg tutorial on building pc's online. The only thing i am skeptical of is the PSU did not come with a power cord, i purchased a separate one from best buy, it is a Dynex AC power cord replacement. I searched online and couldn't find anything to solve my problem, any ideas? Here is the hardware :
CPU:
Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

Motherboard:
Newegg.com - ASRock B75M-DGS LGA 1155 Intel B75 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Value 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C11D-16GNT

PSU:
Newegg.com - Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

HDD:
Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - Operating Systems

Case:
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GZ-F3HEB Black SECC Steel / ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

psu with no cord is fine. it's a way of pretending to be environmental which is really just saving money in no cord. that the ECO part of the branding.

did you try just a single stick of ram?

Start from scratch. Take the RAM out, unplug the monitor, only have the PSU 24pin and 8pin hooked up to the motherboard, make sure the CPU is in right and the heatsink is mounted right, and then try shorting. Double check to make sure your screw driver is making perfect contact with both pins and no other pins. Sometimes it takes a bit to get it to come on that way. A better way is use small needle nose pliers as a flathead screw driver can be hit and miss.

you said it has to make contact with both pins, but only one pin on the top row is labeled as power in the motherboards manual. Im assuming the two pins would vertical, the one labeled as power and the one below it? I will try again

You have to make a short for it to work. That's how a case power button works. You are giving a tiny short to indicate the system to power on. These 2 I indicated should turn it on by making contact.

power.jpg

I got it to turn on!! but there was no beep. The cpu fan turned on and a screen shows up on the monitor called asrock uefi setup utility. Should i maybe try again?

Back
Top Bottom