Dual Processor laptop

xerolen

In Runtime
The other day I was playing games on my desktop and suddenly I wondered is there a laptop with 2 CPUs? You see my desktop has 2x Intel Xeon Quad Core 3.2Ghz CPUs with HT turned off. I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of a laptop have 2 CPUs that are both usable at the same time for maximum processing power? If anyone has any insight into this topic please let me know as I am curious if there is such a thing? I know lenovo has a laptop that has 2 CPUs but will switch between them to make it so you can seamlesly move from windows to linux by basically just throwing one CPU/OS set into sleep mode and waking up the other set. I was just curious about if one had 2 CPUs that can be used at the same time. Thank you in advanced if you know of any such laptop!

First issue i see with a 2p laptop setup is you'd need to run server size, aka normsal xeon ncpu's as they are the only cu's with dual qpi links allowing for dual cp's to run together.

This would ake it absolutely huge.

So no, I highly doubt there are any 2p laptops.

No you could use a Desktop replacement laptop. so something like in the old days a Dell XPS Inspiron 9100

What he's saying is that there are no mobile-sized processors with a dual QPI link. So you'd have to use a server class motherboard and CPU... which would be gigantic :tongue:

To stick 2 of them onto a motherboard, plus everything else would make the board huge.

I have 2 dual socket xeon 1366 boards. One is a tiny board.. which is actually an ATX, and my other is hptx which is absolutely ginorrmous.
I also have an hp 3800+ desktop replacement.

Don't forget both cpus need a ram set too.

I've seen i7 desktop replacements and they are huge with only 1 cpu.

Back
Top Bottom