Need help.

Depending on the age of the system, I'm going to highly doubt it has dual BIOS chips onboard, especially considering it's a Gateway. Dual BIOS works by when the computer fails to boot off of the primary BIOS, it falls back on the secondary chip in case of corruption or improper settings.

The jumper on a single BIOS chip will do the same thing as removing the battery. And like you also said some dual BIOS systems will re-flash the primary chip. Not all - depends on how they were designed.

Sorry about the long response, I have been out of town on work and have not been able to mess with it. It is a Gateway 2000 4DX2-50V. 09-00189-10 is the mb number by micronics. Unfortunately it does not have a cmos battery like most comps i deal with, but it does have a battery pack for the clock. Tried that just in case, to no avail. I have located the bios jumper, however, but have not tried that without certainty that I should. Like I said, this pc worked until recently, so I am hoping to recover it.

Sorry about the long response, I have been out of town on work and have not been able to mess with it. It is a Gateway 2000 4DX2-50V. 09-00189-10 is the mb number by micronics. Unfortunately it does not have a cmos battery like most comps i deal with, but it does have a battery pack for the clock. Tried that just in case, to no avail. I have located the bios jumper, however, but have not tried that without certainty that I should. Like I said, this pc worked until recently, so I am hoping to recover it.

You should be fine using the BIOS jumper.

It will just clear the BIOS settings; shouldn't damage it or anything..

Well, I tried the jumper, and it didn't do anything to fix the issue. My only questions are what now, and where can I find some antique computer parts in case?...

Back
Top Bottom