First Custom Computer

oh, i didnt mean to say that you were. i was saying that would be the only reason to get a high end amd cpu, and even then i would probably go for the intel.

Those fans are fine. If it's cooling that you think might be an issue, don't think that. The 600 series runs quite cool. The blower fans are also better in regards to temp in the case. It sucks air from in the case and blows all the hot air out the back of your case. The other types blow hot air into your case. If you will be doing your gaming on the Xbox then you don't have to worry about them ramping up either. I recommend eVGA based on their CS and quality. If you chose to go with another brand then that's fine.
Oh wow I see, I thought that something like a Galaxy card would be better in terms of Temperature seeing as they're supposedly dual Fanned, haha cool alright. Later tonight I'll go onto Scan and try piece together two final setups. Setup one being an Intel i3 3220 With a 660Ti, haven't a clue what brand. There's 7 660Ti's that I can't chose from, all on Scan, ranging from Palit being £213 and Gigabyte being the most expensive of the 7 at £223, all of them besides the Palit come with a Free Assassins Creed 3 /: And setup two being Intel i5(Probably the 3350P) seeing as that's the cheapest Core i5 on Scan, and I can't really be bothered to shop around, with either a standard GTX 660 or, bare with me, I know you said no to AMD but maybe a 7970, I'll watch some benchmark videos and stuff, I'll let you know later.

I'll post my results in this Thread later so you can review it if that's alright?

Last edited:
A 7970 would be more expensive. Not sure how that would make sense.

The temps would be better with those aftermarket cooling solutions, but the problem is that heat is put back into your case. With the blower type cards the shroud keeps that warm air from escaping and gets pushed out the back of your case. It's why I prefer them. My CPU gets the maximum cooling capability from not having GPU air to contend with. I had a Galaxy Accelero edition which was a triple slot triple fan card and traded for this eVGA.

Alright fair enough, can I ask what's better, DirectCU II / Overclocked / Windforce 2X?
And I'm looking at Intel B75 and Z77 Motherboards, would I need normal or mATX?

Last edited:
Either motherboard format will work. If you get an mATX board it's just a smaller board.
All of those are basically the same thing. A different type of cooler from a different company with basic factory overclocks. When it comes to GPUs it is better to go with a company that has better CS and RMA department over factory nonsense. Reference cards are easier to replace 2 years later than a card with aftermarket cooling.

B75 boards are your basic boards and don't allow overclocking or multi-card support. Z77 boards are the high end chipset but with what you want to do the latter would be the better option due to you not needing anything elaborate.

Oh I see, can I ask what's the difference between Ivy Bridge Intel CPU's and Sandy Bridge ones?
And I'm on Scan and there's four Intel Core i5 Ivy Bridge CPU's I'm looking at, 3350P = £135.78. 3330 = £138.18. 3450 = £138.46. 3470T = £140.58. Which one should I go for, price not being an issue seeing as there's only £5 difference between worst/best?

Edit: I just read the price specifications on Scan, The 3470T is only a Dual Core whereas the rest are Quad Core, how come a Dual Core is more than a Quad o_O?

Last edited:
Ivy and Sandy are different architectures on different process nodes. Ivy Bridge is 22nm with 3d tri-gate transistors. Sandy Bridge is the 2nd gen 32nm shrink to the first gen Core i Nehalem series. Ivy Bridge performs better.

Out of those get the 3450.

T designates low power usage. It's a 35w chip vs the others being 77w TDP.

Back
Top Bottom