Torn on which AMD chip to get...

mobkon

Baseband Member
I've just recently upgraded my whole system (on a budget) and I'm debating on a AMD CPU as my new mobo is an AMD board. I was originally going to go with the AMD FX8150, but now I'm second guessing myself. I will mainly be using my system for 3D/2D work (Maya/After Effects), Photoshop, Video Editing and some light gaming.

I've been looking into the Phenom II X4 965 BE as it's $95 with free shipping from newegg. Only issue is this is almost a 4 year old CPU and starting to get dated. But from what I've read, people still buy it and swear by it.

For my needs, what would be a good AMD chip to go with? Do I need the 8 cores? Should I get the FX6300 6 core chip (which I read isn't a real 6 cores)? Or splurge the extra money and go for the FX8150?

Will I notice a HUGE difference between the Phenom 965 and the FX6100/6300/8150?

I'm not one to be too picky and really care about small details. Just a chip that's going to run my system smoothly and handle HD video and rendering with ease.

Thanks!

since youre stuck with the AMD, youre best bet is the 8350 over the 8150 for the tasks that you described.
+1

Your other option is sell the board and go Intel 3930k.

To answer your question. Will you notice a huge difference from the 965 to the 8350? Yes, in those programs you will. Would you see a bigger difference from the 965 to the 3930k? Yes.

since youre stuck with the AMD, youre best bet is the 8350 over the 8150 for the tasks that you described.

Is that really necessary? Will I see a big leap over any of the others? I'm on a budget and the 8350 runs $200. Hoping one of the cheaper chips can get the job done.

They'll get the job done sure, but the 8350 is the Vishera chip which has higher IPC (single threaded performance) and runs cooler while consuming less power. I think it's a good 50-75w less on full load than the 8150. If you absolutely want to save money then go for the 8150. I just feel that if whatever you're doing in those production programs is any kind of important then you should invest a little more cash into the subject. If you're just kind of toying around or going to school for it then the 8150 should do fine.

Back
Top Bottom