i5 3570 or 3570k? Which mobi? Asus or ASRock?

Rawan AbuSalman

Daemon Poster
Hey guys,

Building a new computer. Haven't overclocked before, but I'm considering it now (or at least, future proofing my purchase)

There's around a $30 difference between 3570 and 3570k.

Basically, my question is; how much of a boost could I get with the k over the 3570? Though I'm on a tight budget, I don't mind paying the extra $30 now if the boost is significant/justified by the difference.

As for the motherboard, my research landed me on those two. I'm slightly inclined towards the Asus one.

(Because of my tight budget, $35 price difference played a slight role)

Newegg.com - ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Newegg.com - ASUS P8Z77-V LE LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Was considering this (Newegg.com - ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS) as it was highly rated based on what I read. But as far as I could tell, it has SLI over the LE one. Doubt I'll be using that.

My uses: occasional games (I have a dedicated graphics card), occasional photo/video editing, but nothing too intensive

Your help is appreciated

Thanks!

I would save the cash completely and just get the i5 3330. The only difference between the 3570 and 3570k is the unlocked multiplier. The i5 3330 is the same but clocked slightly lower which wont really amount to much besides price. To overclock the 3570k you'll need a good cooler which will be costly and since you're on a tight budget I suggest getting the 3330 and ASRock board.

Actually by looking at your sig you already have a 3570. Right? If so, you don't need any of this stuff. That CPU will be fine for a long time.

Thanks for the reply.

Actually, no longer have the 3570. Returned it shortly after purchase as I thought I would be travelling for work. Never ended up traveling, so buying a new CPU again.

Difference between the 3330 and 3570 is $10 on newegg. I would assume the 3570 would be a better purchase in that case.

Can't I overclock slightly on the stock cooler? Even if I can't, again, if the boost is significant/justified by the $30 difference, I'd pay it. It's not everyday that I buy a new CPU. I'd buy a better cooler sometime down the line maybe.

As for the motherboard, may I ask the reason you'd recommend the ASRock over the Asus?

Thanks again

you can overclock a little bit with no problems on a stock cooler.

i would get the asus over the asrock between those 2.

Thanks for the reply.

Actually, no longer have the 3570. Returned it shortly after purchase as I thought I would be travelling for work. Never ended up traveling, so buying a new CPU again.

Difference between the 3330 and 3570 is $10 on newegg. I would assume the 3570 would be a better purchase in that case.

Can't I overclock slightly on the stock cooler? Even if I can't, again, if the boost is significant/justified by the $30 difference, I'd pay it. It's not everyday that I buy a new CPU. I'd buy a better cooler sometime down the line maybe.

As for the motherboard, may I ask the reason you'd recommend the ASRock over the Asus?

Thanks again
The 3570k and 3570 is a 15 dollar difference, but the 3330 is 189 whereas the 3570 is 214. Like I said, the only real difference between all of them in real world performance is how much it takes out of your wallet. There is absolutely no reason to OC any of these CPUs right now. If you plan to buy a cooler and want to OC later then you will need the 3570k regardless.

If you don't plan on using SLI then get Asus LE. It's cheaper and they will all give you the same performance and features besides a few different things here and there (like SLI). Overclocking will basically be the same on them all too.

The 3570k and 3570 is a 15 dollar difference, but the 3330 is 189 whereas the 3570 is 214. Like I said, the only real difference between all of them in real world performance is how much it takes out of your wallet. There is absolutely no reason to OC any of these CPUs right now. If you plan to buy a cooler and want to OC later then you will need the 3570k regardless.

If you don't plan on using SLI then get Asus LE. It's cheaper and they will all give you the same performance and features besides a few different things here and there (like SLI). Overclocking will basically be the same on them all too.

Well there's a $15 off coupon code, placing the 3570 at $200, 3570k at $230.

I don't "plan" to OC, but if OC-ing could give me a significant boost in performance, then I'd get the 3570k now. If not, I'd stick with the 3570 and save the $30. Remember, I'm new to the world of overclocking, so I have no idea how much of a performance boost it could give me/if that boost justifies the $30 price difference.

As for the mobo, LE it is :)

It is a boost to where it's relevant. As of right now pretty much any good CPU be it 2500k, 3570k, 8350, whatever is good enough to pretty much blow anything away unless it's super heavy CPU intensive. Then if you do stuff like that you should have something like a 3930k or Xeon.

If you get the 3570k now and later a good cooler when you need it OCing could extend the life of your CPU a few more years. To put it in perspective I bought this i5 750 in 2009 and used it until I got a 2500k in Feb of last year. Then in August I got a 3960x and recently in December I sold my X79 board and had to go back to this i5 750. I can honestly say, not much of a difference in performance besides a select few things.
What I'm saying is, if you get a 3570k now you probably wont need a new CPU for 3-5 years maybe more. Being able to OC to something like 4.5 further on increases those years.

Hmm.. Thanks for the insight. Seems logical to get a 3570k then. How high can it safely be overclocked on air cooling btw?

Also, I'm assuming the Asus P8Z77-V LE supports OC, right?

If you mean the stock cooler, I wouldn't go past 4.2. Remember, it turbos to 3.8 so 4.2 isn't too high but the stock coolers really suck.

Yes all Z77 boards will OC the chip.

No I meant with a decent cooler. If/when I buy one at some point.
(What about liquid cooling? How much higher than a decent fan can I go if I go liquid?)

I'm just asking to have an idea.

Back
Top Bottom