A basic computer for practicing at home

Studenttech1

Baseband Member
Hey folks,

I have a number of exercises (Labs) that I need to do at home from my computer classes. Since I am in school and learning all this "new", I don't want to use my computer to do these exercises, like take apart, put together, and do some of the operations exercises involving disk partitioning, creating a WIM file, practicing Windows Easy Transfer.. and so on.

My system is a clone build out that and ex boyfriend built for me, and it's pretty nice. So I am looking at buying a new basic computer for about 350-450 for practice purposes. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks again!

if this is just a 'practice' computer, i would say go to craigslist and haggle down. you should have to spend as much as you are to have a computer for the tasks that you described.

Yea, they have more we have to do as we go along in homework assignments, some of it seems a bit complicated at this point, as I am learning. But will look at the craigslist option! Thanks

Yea I would find a cheap basic computer somebody is selling for like 100 bucks. It'll teach you the basics if you are talking about practicing building and other small stuff. Google/Youtube for guides to help you too.

$100 will probably get you into 10+ year old with ide type hard drives and such. $250 might be a better price point. look around and reply back here if you find a few good listings and need help deciding if it is a good enough deal.

im still not exactly sure what you will be doing with the computer...

I've seen C2D SATA based Dells selling locally for 100 bucks. Hell if I was close I could sell the OP some parts I have laying around. Doesn't matter how old it is if it's just for learning. Although newer PCs are all SATA it doesn't hurt to learn IDE. And for learning purposes it doesn't hurt if it was even an older 3000+ or P4.

I have an older pc and a couple others I an listing on Craigslist for only $30. I'm afraid it'll probably cost you as much as what I'm asking to ship it though. Hunt around your area locally and you can probably find find a decent pc for under $100.
This is an older pc but would be o.k. to experiment with
Custom PC

Back
Top Bottom