Techist - Tech Forum - View Single Post - New video card shopping - need some advice.

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 11:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
vikenk
Junior Techie

Default Re: New video card shopping - need some advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract Hero View Post
Not sure if you misunderstood. He's saying if you want a proper upgrade, chances are you will need to replace your PSU with something more powerful because you would -need- to. Not really a choice, a mid to high-end card won't work on a (low quality) 400w.
I understood what he was saying My point was more about trying to find a card that would fit in with what I currently have. Upgrades have a funny way of cascading into other upgrades, which is what I'm trying to avoid.

I spent the money on a new monitor. I was hoping that spending ~$60 on a modern card would effectively be an upgrade to my "old" Quadro3500. You know how technology works: newer stuff is usually "faster, better, cheaper" that stuff that's even a couple of years old

My computer is an HP DC7800P. It came with a 300(?) watt PSU. Of course, it's a custom sized case and it took me forever to find a 400w psu to begin with (and I overpaid, of course).

Quote:
Also, I agree with him. Seems to be an investment worth putting more into since you game and render so I would have to say 650 or at the very least a 550.

Do you have a budget?
I would normally agree as well. However, for now it seems like sticking with my Quadro would be better since I probably won't be finding a better replacement for the budget I was planning, which was less than around 75-80 dollars.

I was keying in on a GT630 w/2GB ram or possibly a GT520. They both seem to sell at similar prices on Newegg.

Thanks for the advice

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.