First Custom Computer

SuperFly1

Banned
Hello guys :) I'm new here and I'm really needing some expert advice on a computer I'm wanting to build. So I've been doing small maintenance repairs to computers for a couple of months now and it got me thinking, I really need to upgrade my computer..
I'm from the United Kingdom so if anybody would very kindly build a system and link it to me that would be fantastic, but please use a British website like Scan or Aria.
I need absolutely everything! Including a Monitor/Keyboard/Mouse and an Operating System. I also play on Wireless so I'd need a CPU or a Motherboard that supports wireless connectivity, or some sort of internal/external Wireless connector, I really don't know..
I download absolutely tons and tons of Movies, Music and pretty much all the Games I play are downloaded, so I need a pretty big hard drive or a "SSD" ?

One thing that also really bugs me is slow start up time and applications taking forever to load. This obviously being a new computer hopefully it would be fast all round anyway, but if there's any parts that could be added to make it start up faster and load programs quicker please add it in!
Budget on the computer alone, £650. I'll stretch to £680 If I really really have too. I wouldn't really class myself as a 'gamer' but I do play a few games such as MMORPG like RuneScape and W.o.W. And FPS games like Soldier Front, A.V.A, GunZ etc. My main concern would be a video card that's capable of playing Full 1080p HD Films and videos. I know that most of the games I play aren't very demanding and although I'd love to play on High/Max, I don't want to lagg whilst in those settings.

If anybody would also be kind enough to link a monitor, keyboard and mouse I really wouldn't like the total budget to exceed £850.
Only thing I will say is that I'm not into big fancy gaming mouses or keyboards, and I'd like at least a 22" 1080p Full HD Monitor. As for a keyboard I'd preferably like something that's back-lit, and I'm not sure what they call it but I'd like a keyboard that has a like.. Rubber/Plastic or whatever coating it is over the buttons if you know what I mean? And as for a mouse, just want something that's comfy, not into all these fancy mouses with lights with 14591 buttons etc.. Thanks guys!

Last edited:
I'm in the process of packing up my PC but I'm sure somebody will beat me to the punch of linking things for you. (If not I'll for sure get you setup later on).

For anybody who wants to link this is my suggestions.
i3 3220
B75 board
8GB 1600
128GB Corsair Force GT
650ti or 7850
Seasonic 520
3TB Seagate

Might be a tad out of budget but I think it'll work.

For the guys keyboard, I know the standard version of the Razer Lycosa has rubber coated keys for a lot of grip.
Sorry I can't link right now but after I'm done posting this my PC is getting shut down.

Oh that's alright, thanks man.
Would I also need to buy a wireless network adapter or do Motherboards have built-in wireless connectivity?

Last edited:
Do you have a copy of windows 7? you may need to buy one, so you can put it on your SSD and get really fast boot times, also if you need to save more money you can get a 64GB SSD instead of a 128GB SSD. For what your doing 64GB is enough

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the OS. I know my mother got Windows 7 when she bought her Laptop 3 months ago, I think that had 2-3 uses, and she hasn't even opened the box yet. I'll have to ask her, I really hope so though since Windows 7 is like £70-75 /: For the time being let's say that I'd have to buy an OS though. Oh wow I didn't know that about an SSD. Could you tell me what else other than the OS would I put on the SSD and what should I keep on the Hard Drive? That's Fine Mguire, whenever you're free would you mind also linking a PCI-E Wireless N card? I see lots of PCI cards but the only PCI-E card I can see on Scan costs £60. May I ask, since I use WiFi would I 100% Need one of these in order for me to connect to my home wireless?

Thanks Brinks, I'm just waiting to see what PP Mguire has to say unless anybody else will politely respond, I'll go with the first one. Because I play on WiFi(Wireless) on I think either Virgin Media Fiber Optic Broadband or Sky Fiber Optic Broadband would I 100% need a PCI-E Wireless Network card in order for me to pay on WiFi?
But here are the parts:
Intel Core i3 3220 CPU = £89.94
MSI B75MA-P45 Intel B75 Motherboard = £45.30
Asus 2GB GTX 660Ti GPU / MSI 2GB GeForce GTX 660Ti OC Both = £215
(The Asus is Double Fan cooled whereas the MSI is Single Fan cooled, however the MSI has slightly more min/max clocks speeds or whatever)
Corsair Memory Vegeance (Blue) 8GB RAM = £42.96
Seagate 1TB Performance Hard Drive = £53.63
PNY 120GB XLR8 SSD = £79.91
Corsair Enthusiast TX V2 650W PSU = £70.38
Corsair Carbide 200R Case = £49.99
Corsair H60 Hydro Series Liquid CPU Cooler = £69.52
Scythe Kaze Jyuni 120mm 1900rpmFan = £8.38
Corsair Air Series AF120 Performance 120mm 1560rpm Fan = £12.14
Total rounded up is around £750. know that's a little over budget so if any of you guys have any suggestions on what I could downgrade or switch out please don't hesitate to say so!
Hope I'm not missing anything out, what do you guys think?
Haven't chosen an OS because I'm hoping that the Laptop my mother purchased(With Windows 7) Has at least 2 uses, she hasn't even opened the box yet, so if her copy of Windows 7 has another use I can use that.
Another question I'm wanting to ask is, is The Hydro H60 Liquid CPU cooler worth the £70 or should I just stick with the standard Cooler/Heat-sink Fan the CPU comes with?
Thanks guys!

Edit: Sorry I forgot to mention, I wouldn't class myself as a 'gamer' as I only really play certain MMORPG's like WoW and some FPS games such as A.V.A, GunZ, Soldier Front and Halo. I mostly watch Films and I download quite a lot and watch TV Dramas on YouTube and sites like LoveFilm and Netflix. And I know for those games and the ability to watch 1080p HD Films a 660Ti is probably as you guys say 'overkill', I just don't want to be having to upgrade in a couple years time because my GPU can't handle the games. Maybe I shouldn't be thinking like that though, as is it really possible to Future-Proof a PC? As Technology advances games will become more demanding and parts will soon be outdated etc.. I really don't know, just trying to sound like I know something :)

Last edited:
Thanks Brinks, I'm just waiting to see what PP Mguire has to say unless anybody else will politely respond, I'll go with the first one. Because I play on WiFi(Wireless) on I think either Virgin Media Fiber Optic Broadband or Sky Fiber Optic Broadband would I 100% need a PCI-E Wireless Network card in order for me to pay on WiFi?
But here are the parts:
Intel Core i3 3220 CPU = £89.94
MSI B75MA-P45 Intel B75 Motherboard = £45.30
Asus 2GB GTX 660Ti GPU / MSI 2GB GeForce GTX 660Ti OC Both = £215
(The Asus is Double Fan cooled whereas the MSI is Single Fan cooled, however the MSI has slightly more min/max clocks speeds or whatever)
Corsair Memory Vegeance (Blue) 8GB RAM = £42.96
Seagate 1TB Performance Hard Drive = £53.63
PNY 120GB XLR8 SSD = £79.91
Corsair Enthusiast TX V2 650W PSU = £70.38
Corsair Carbide 200R Case = £49.99
Corsair H60 Hydro Series Liquid CPU Cooler = £69.52
Scythe Kaze Jyuni 120mm 1900rpmFan = £8.38
Corsair Air Series AF120 Performance 120mm 1560rpm Fan = £12.14
Total rounded up is around £750. know that's a little over budget so if any of you guys have any suggestions on what I could downgrade or switch out please don't hesitate to say so!
Hope I'm not missing anything out, what do you guys think?
Haven't chosen an OS because I'm hoping that the Laptop my mother purchased(With Windows 7) Has at least 2 uses, she hasn't even opened the box yet, so if her copy of Windows 7 has another use I can use that.
Another question I'm wanting to ask is, is The Hydro H60 Liquid CPU cooler worth the £70 or should I just stick with the standard Cooler/Heat-sink Fan the CPU comes with?
Thanks guys!

Edit: Sorry I forgot to mention, I wouldn't class myself as a 'gamer' as I only really play certain MMORPG's like WoW and some FPS games such as A.V.A, GunZ, Soldier Front and Halo. I mostly watch Films and I download quite a lot and watch TV Dramas on YouTube and sites like LoveFilm and Netflix. And I know for those games and the ability to watch 1080p HD Films a 660Ti is probably as you guys say 'overkill', I just don't want to be having to upgrade in a couple years time because my GPU can't handle the games. Maybe I shouldn't be thinking like that though, as is it really possible to Future-Proof a PC? As Technology advances games will become more demanding and parts will soon be outdated etc.. I really don't know, just trying to sound like I know something c:

Edit edit: I may consider The Sapphire HD 3GB 7950 If I get enough positive Feedback, however The 7950 being roughly the same price as the two 660Ti's I may as well just go with one of them them and get that extra bit of performance right?

If you have actual fiber and a wireless N router (a good one) then yes I highly suggest the card. Reason being, the USB2 bus can hamper performance. For anybody who just wants to use wireless to get online and such then the USB dongles are fine but if you game then the PCI-E cards can hold a stronger signal.

The rig you have selected is fine but I would change 2 things. The SSD. Get a Corsair or Samsung SSD instead.
The Hydro cooler. It isn't needed.

Something that doesn't really matter, but I would get an eVGA 660ti instead. CS and RMA is better.

No to the 7950.

Back
Top Bottom