pc boot up due 2 telephone

Status
Not open for further replies.

smurph

In Runtime
hi

can anyone explain why new PC with win XP using a dial-up external 56K modem boots up when someone telephones my house.
this did not occur with old PC with win98 using same modem.

also, when connected it shows 33.6 kbps

rgds
smurph

I don't exactly remember how to turn it off, but the modem is set to turn your computer on when it recieves a call, as to make a connection with whomever is calling. So this is why... Let me ask, this could be stupid but, if you're not using dial up, then perhaps you have the line plugged into the phone jack on the modem instead of the modem jack..

Thnx Demalii

A less knowledgeable friend mentioned that he had accidentally seen that this can be turned off, but I have been unable to trace where this is done, lets hope someone else doesÂ…Â….

I do use dial-up, and I believe that it is rigged correctly, but PC automaticallly boots during my absence from house when a call is received when I am not online.

rRgds
smurph

Ya know what smurph, call me crazy *discos* but check in the bios, something tells me there's a "wake on call" or wake on incoming or something of the sort that would cause this.. Reason why I say this is because if you can set a time to turn your computer on, I'd think that there's an option for the modem or something, who knows.. but check it out, good luck dude

do you have a cd or anything for it? try googling some stuff on your modem maybe and see what you can dig up and if you have a cd see whats on it there might be something handy.

your bios is set to sleep instead of shutting down(turning compleetly off) , you need to set it to turn off and set the wake on modem ring to off also. this could have been set by a new keyboard install too! a lot of new keyboards out now are internet ready or office ready and these have the instruction set in them to wake on mouse , wake on modem ring etc, some bios settings will even wake your computer on the hdd starting ( ???why?? if its supposed to be off ???).....got me ...

Thnx guys

For anyone else with the same problem, it was in the bios, although i believe that the terminology is bad...........it was under.........
Power Management Setup>PM Wake Up Events>RING Power Up Control

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom