Please help me decide which components are best to use on this build

Because his task isn't very intensive at all and is a total power hog for basically just sitting there. Also requires a dedicated card which will eat more power.

Why not stock? I thought the 8350 came with that H50 rip off.

LOL! Nope, no H50, and even if it did come with the Corsair H50, you could not pay me enough to install it!

My Corsair H70 leaked like crap and destroyed a perfectly good rig of mine a couple of years back. Since then, I decided never again with Corsair CPU destroyers [whoops, I meant Corsair CPU Leaky Coolers].

I do like Corsair PSU's and RAM, but their Liquid Coolers suck...whoops, I meant leak.

So, what will it be? Which of the 4 CPU coolers do you recommend?

Soar

Attachments

• Leaking Corsair H70.jpg
    Leaking Corsair H70.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I said H50 rip off. Just so you know, CoolIT and Asetek are the OEM for all AIO branded coolers. In other words, the H50 and your H20 620 are made by the same company with only slight differences in cosmetics ;)
550LC - Asetek, Inc.

If that picture is of your actual H70 then your problem is it was hampered with. Those washers shouldn't be there. You are the only person I've actually seen complain about leaking of any sorts. I'm sure if I Googled for it I would find it as there is always a poor ******* out there, but as actually seeing a report on one of the 5 forums I'm on you're the first. Just so you know, I've owned an H50 since they were first released. Not a problem.

Anyways, by rip off, I meant it's the exact same thing as an H50 because Asetek are the OEM. And honestly, the 4 module FX chips need them.

And sorry for your loss of PC, but **** does happen. If you had a DOA board from Asus would you act the same way? Probably not. It's the same thing.

Might as well just use the 212.

Last edited:
I said H50 rip off. Just so you know, CoolIT and Asetek are the OEM for all AIO branded coolers. In other words, the H50 and your H20 620 are made by the same company with only slight differences in cosmetics ;)
550LC - Asetek, Inc.

If that picture is of your actual H70 then your problem is it was hampered with. Those washers shouldn't be there. You are the only person I've actually seen complain about leaking of any sorts. I'm sure if I Googled for it I would find it as there is always a poor ******* out there, but as actually seeing a report on one of the 5 forums I'm on you're the first. Just so you know, I've owned an H50 since they were first released. Not a problem.

Anyways, by rip off, I meant it's the exact same thing as an H50 because Asetek are the OEM. And honestly, the 4 module FX chips need them.

And sorry for your loss of PC, but **** does happen. If you had a DOA board from Asus would you act the same way? Probably not. It's the same thing.

Might as well just use the 212.

PPM, thanks for your reply. I learn a lot from you!

H50 and H70 were first generation Liquid CPU coolers, and with the H70, I have read countless stories of leakage. I posted my Corsair horror story, as well as Corsair's blatant denial, and subsequent nightmare on Amazon for thousands to read. Many, many people began to post about the same exact problem with first generation Corsair CPU coolers: Terrible Leaks!

It is listed here under "The most helpful critical review."

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Corsair Hydro Series H70 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler (CW-9060002-WW)

I am very, very happy your Corsair H50 is working out for you PPM, but, like I said, for me, never, ever, ever again!

From what I read, we are now seeing the 3rd generation CPU coolers hitting the market. You can see several differences. The best may be the new type of material used in the manufacture of the hoses. My Antec H20 620 works purrrrfectly, but I did my homework before buying it. The Antec H20 620 is indeed, a 3rd generation liquid CPU cooler:

Antec Kuhler H2O 620 Liquid Cooling System

Introduction

Finally, there is a liquid cooler for the rest of us. The Antec KUHLER H2O 620 delivers high-performance liquid cooling for your CPU in a quick, easy-to-install package. Unlike traditional liquid cooling systems, this self-contained unit comes prefilled and requires no maintenance. The voltage-controlled 120 mm fan, 3rd generation copper coldplate and airflow-enhancing low-profile pump ensure efficient cooling, while the estimated 50,000 hour pump lifetime means this cooler is even likely to outlast the system it cools. Easy-bend flexible tubing allows the KUHLER H2O 620 to be installed in nearly any orientation regardless of the internal configuration of the case. Finally, the KUHLER H2O 620 comes with peace of mind in the form of an industry-leading Antec Quality 3 year limited warranty on parts and labor. Take your PC's Quiet Computingâ„¢ to the next level with liquid cooling performance at a price that rivals aftermarket air cooler.

The Thermaltake liquid cooler I picked up for dirt cheap is 3rd generation I think, and I have full confidence it will work well. Today, I just discovered that the Gigabyte 990XFA-UD3 I have used for this AMD 8350 build has issues with the BIOS misreading CPU temperatures, thus leading to a terrible slow down on the CPU fan! Ouch! That would place my rig at great risk. Funny thing was, when I was building this rig these last few days, I left the side cover off and I noticed the fan slowing down so much that it began to worry me.

I even told my wife, "I will replace that CPU fan because at times it doesn't even spin, and at other times, it slows waaaaaaaaay down!"

After reading an Anandtech article, I discovered the problem...BIOS misreading the CPU temps....Now I wish I had read the article earlier and picked up the ASUS Sabertooth 990FX instead!

So, now, unfortunately, I suppose I am left with no other choice but to use the Thermaltake WATER2.0 Performer Closed-Loop All In One Liquid CPU Cooler Dual 120mm PWM Fans 120x25mm CLW0215. I will by-pass the BIOS completely so the fans on this Liquid CPU cooler are not controlled by the BIOS at all. I simply have no other choice! I will hook up the CPU fans to my Scythe Fan Controller with the digital read outs of temps and RPM's. I did it the same way with my Intel 3570 Build [please see pics].

Have a good one!

Soar

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Actually, the 620 is a direct copy of the first gen 550LC. It hasn't changed since its introduction. That includes the tubing and everything. When Corsair released the first H50 to the market they changed the tubes for fear of puncture of the original products rubber type tubing. Their only mistake was making it so the tubes can't swivel on the block itself causing some issues. Like I said, if I Googled I'm sure I could hear all the horror stories I want and the same goes for all the quality parts that I recommend from renowned sources like Seasonic, Asus, and the like. But you happen to be the first actual person to post somebody about it.

I should also mention, the later pictures on here with H50s is H50 #2 for me. Yes, I own two. I do believe the second gen units and even third gen Hi units are made by CoolIT. The H80 and H60 should be CoolIT and Corsair retained the crap plastic tubing and I'm glad with 3rd gen they changed that. It makes a difference. After some actual Google it appears those washers are supposed to be there, which is weird to me. Anywho, I never recommended the H70 to people anyways as I thought the H80 was a better product with the square coldplate. I'll give them that, the circle I'm not a fan of.

As to the actual motherboard. Hence, not a fan of Gigabyte. I use one, and I totally hate this board. It was a spare that I was stuck using after frying and completely killing my eVGA P55.

why the 'unfortunately'? the 8350 will outperform the intel chip you listed most of the time in the tasks that you described.

Jason,

I inserted "unfortunately" because I am a penny pincher and was hoping for the most economical CPU solution. Then I did my math, and discovered that, in my situation with the usage I will have, I will only spend $14 more per year on electricity using the AMD FX 8350 vs. the Intel i5-2500K!

So, I apologize for the "unfortunately" because now I am kinda happy I have an 8 core processor!

The good news is I was able to gather and install all the components and install Windows 8 Pro with the Media Pack. I just read that Microsoft's Windows 8 Pro Upgrade will jump from $14.99 up to $199! Wow! So, I am looking at this as if I just saved over $200.

Not bad at all!

Have a good one!

Soar

PS I have attached pics of my somewhat new Intel 3570 rig that I recently build and I am very happy with. I think I will also experiment with my Kill-A-Watt meter to see the exact difference between the rigs.

Finally, Microcenter had an incredible deal today on an Intel 3570K/ASrock Extreme 6 Z77 1155 for only 239.98! Now that was quite a deal!

Attachments

• 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 16 - Copy (2).jpg
    16 - Copy (2).jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom