CPU Questions for a Build?

For instance, if it's strictly gaming, the performance increase would still come from more GPU. 100 bucks is the difference between 670 and 660ti, or i3 and i5. ****, if I was building a rig right now and had the cash with NO PC parts I would grab a 680 and the Pentium 2120 if I had to.
To iterate my seriousness, I'm currently looking for a buyer for my 3960x. I'm looking at getting a 680 to put on my first gen i5.

Just looked a little into the 680; that'll run you quite a pretty penny but from the stuff I read I'd say it's well worth the cost. I assume by 3960x you mean the i7. Trading up a 3960x for a 680 is pretty good example of what you're talking about. lol I have to ask though, I recall you saying you were having "problems" with the 3960x and that's why you went back on the i5. What happened to the 3960x?

It's a long story. We had financial troubles and owed our complex about 1200 bucks. Easiest thing to get rid of was my 3960x and board. We paid off most before it even sold and then a dude came by and bought the board. He wanted to help but didn't want me to lose my CPU, then decided to make up try and get me work at his company. By the time he bought the board my family took a loan out to cover the rest. So I have my 3960x collecting dust in its box and no board for it. I have had practically no FPS difference between the 2.

If I sell, I'm either going to grab a used 690 (due to no SLI support on this board), or a new SSD and a 4GB 680. I've also considered other options, but a new GPU is coming regardless.

It's a long story. We had financial troubles and owed our complex about 1200 bucks. Easiest thing to get rid of was my 3960x and board. We paid off most before it even sold and then a dude came by and bought the board. He wanted to help but didn't want me to lose my CPU, then decided to make up try and get me work at his company. By the time he bought the board my family took a loan out to cover the rest. So I have my 3960x collecting dust in its box and no board for it. I have had practically no FPS difference between the 2.

If I sell, I'm either going to grab a used 690 (due to no SLI support on this board), or a new SSD and a 4GB 680. I've also considered other options, but a new GPU is coming regardless.

I'm so sorry about all that. :( But I must ask, what would you want for the 3960x? That thing has quite a muscle it can flex and I'm sure SOMEONE could use it?

I'm asking 800 or high end trades locally. Even at 4.6GHz it vs my lowly i5 at 3.8 there is hardly a difference noticeably in 90% of the things I personally do. It was only real effective at encodes and the very little rendering a friend did on my PC. Most of my Photoshop work gets done on the GPU itself.

I'm asking 800 or high end trades locally. Even at 4.6GHz it vs my lowly i5 at 3.8 there is hardly a difference noticeably in 90% of the things I personally do. It was only real effective at encodes and the very little rendering a friend did on my PC. Most of my Photoshop work gets done on the GPU itself.

****, after a quick check on some sites $800 for that thing is a steal in my opinion. Are you only selling it/trading it locally or would you be up for selling out of state? I understand that I only know OF you through this forum; that aside, would you be alright with me spreading the word around here in California? I do know computer enthusiasts that build rigs/upgrade them all the time, and hey, you never know, someone may want to upgrade their CPU for one reason or another. But, if that's not your cup of tea or if you're a man who prefers his privacy in these type of matters, I completely understand; just looking to help any way I can.

Back
Top Bottom