Mostly working Creative SB Audigy

maddangerous

In Runtime
hey all,

So about a month ago i decided to pick up a sound card (Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 SE, PCI interface) to see if i was missing out on anything, and holy crap was i! the new depth to infected mushroom, born of osiris, hell ANYTHING i threw at this card was great (for an older sound card, mind you).

My JBL platinum edition 2 pc speaker set now screams at me with pleasure from the music :D :AwwwYea: and that's right, 2 pc. i love em. ive never heard another speaker set that's 2 pieces that sounds nearly as good as these.

But i stumble across one kind of big issue for me about a week ago: i used to plug my guitar into the line in jack on the onboard to record a cover or some riffage, and it worked.. well it was ok. quality was lacking.. hence the new card.

well, the mic/line in is not functional. i've spent hours trying, the thing just wont work. So far audio out (analog) works, and i've no other means to test the digital or other outs unfortunately.

Mind you, for the most part im by no means a n00b to computers, ive been at this for some time now.

i did:

1) install the latest drivers from Creative, including the Alchemy, as i do still play diablo 2
2) turned off the integrated sound in the BIOS.
3) plugged my guitar/ipod into EVERY interface on the card to make sure i wasnt missing something/plugging it into the wrong port.
4) Tried playing around in: Right click on speaker in taskbar--> Recording Devices (tried setting as default device AND default communication device).

now, i have searched all over the internet, and on here, and i havent seen something quite like this. Ive also personally never encountered this up until now.

Suggestions..?

Thanks in advance for the help.

hey all,

So about a month ago i decided to pick up a sound card (Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 SE, PCI interface) to see if i was missing out on anything, and holy crap was i! the new depth to infected mushroom, born of osiris, hell ANYTHING i threw at this card was great (for an older sound card, mind you).

My JBL platinum edition 2 pc speaker set now screams at me with pleasure from the music :D :AwwwYea: and that's right, 2 pc. i love em. ive never heard another speaker set that's 2 pieces that sounds nearly as good as these.

But i stumble across one kind of big issue for me about a week ago: i used to plug my guitar into the line in jack on the onboard to record a cover or some riffage, and it worked.. well it was ok. quality was lacking.. hence the new card.

well, the mic/line in is not functional. i've spent hours trying, the thing just wont work. So far audio out (analog) works, and i've no other means to test the digital or other outs unfortunately.

Mind you, for the most part im by no means a n00b to computers, ive been at this for some time now.

i did:

1) install the latest drivers from Creative, including the Alchemy, as i do still play diablo 2
2) turned off the integrated sound in the BIOS.
3) plugged my guitar/ipod into EVERY interface on the card to make sure i wasnt missing something/plugging it into the wrong port.
4) Tried playing around in: Right click on speaker in taskbar--> Recording Devices (tried setting as default device AND default communication device).

now, i have searched all over the internet, and on here, and i havent seen something quite like this. Ive also personally never encountered this up until now.

Suggestions..?

Thanks in advance for the help.

First question: which OS are you using for this sound card if it is windows 7 you may be in for some disapointment.
Beware that creative is not making any drivers for this card anymore even after the release of windows 7 3 years ago.
Windows update is giving you the best driver possible.
Old drivers may work in compabilite mode but you risk at crashing every so often.

As for your mic input issue, try this:
Right click on the mic in sound properties and make it default.
Put the volume level for it at 20% put your main speaker volume at level 40% or 50%.
Reduce the dbs on the mic by 10%. click enable listen through this mic in sound properties.
Make sure your onboard sound card is off in windows otherwise it will try to work/adjust with your external card and make itself default. "**** happens" :/

Go to the mic and snap your finger to it, if you see a green bar in sound properties flicker it is indeed working.
If not, it maybe your mic or headset or the tip end of the mic maybe shorting out.

If all else fails see about looking into a newer sound blaster card.
Also blue port on the sound card is line in, the orange and grey and black is for setting bass and other main speakers to do 5.1 surround sound.

I have had this card and it had crapped out on me, however I blamed my asus board on it because it was shorting out some stuff in my computer before xmas 2012.

Let us know what happens.

yes i am using it on windows 7 ultimate 64 bit. i did managed to get some drivers from Creative for it, and have not had a crash from the soundcard. the logitech webcam however... deserves to be thrown out the window.

ill give this a shot, i think i did all of it except listen to this device originally, but im also not using a mic, i was using the one on the webcam through usb until i got fed up with BSOD's. still havent fixed that either... and i am looking into a new soundcard but not from creative im thinking. any suggestions??

oh and i did turn my onboard off.

what is the likelihood that the ports might be bad..?

yes i am using it on windows 7 ultimate 64 bit. i did managed to get some drivers from Creative for it, and have not had a crash from the soundcard.
i was using the one on the webcam through usb until i got fed up with BSOD's. still havent fixed that either... and i am looking into a new soundcard but not from creative im thinking. any suggestions??

oh and i did turn my onboard off.

what is the likelihood that the ports might be bad..?

Last ditch effort, try using that cards mic port with a speaker headset.
I use sentry microphone headset when I am using dragon naturally speaking 10.1 or voiping in game/phone calls.

Yes you are correct, that sound cards port maybe shot dead already.
It be be best to move on to something more recent.
Once you find out what works on the card and what not just do what you have to do. :)

Last ditch effort, try using that cards mic port with a speaker headset.
I use sentry microphone headset when I am using dragon naturally speaking 10.1 or voiping in game/phone calls.

Yes you are correct, that sound cards port maybe shot dead already.
It be be best to move on to something more recent.
Once you find out what works on the card and what not just do what you have to do. :)

well thanks for the help, ill see whats going down here when i feel like i want to be disappointed :lol:

next up: new cpu cooler... :( horrid noises coming from that right now. got an eye on fan rpm's and cpu temp..

sorry, have not had time lately for this. i would appreciate you halping out :) ill get to this when i can, im thinking this weekend i shall have enough time.

well thanks for the help, ill see whats going down here when i feel like i want to be disappointed :lol:

next up: new cpu cooler... :( horrid noises coming from that right now. got an eye on fan rpm's and cpu temp..

What do you mean by horrid noises ?
Are the lock pins snugg for it not to move ?
is the fan itself somehow loose giggly ?
If no to all that download cpu-z and view what it says about your tempature and voltages.

What do you mean by horrid noises ?
Are the lock pins snugg for it not to move ?
is the fan itself somehow loose giggly ?
If no to all that download cpu-z and view what it says about your tempature and voltages.

Turns out it is one of the power supply fans :( at least not CPU!! :D

havent gotten to the bottom of the sound card, i got another one i may swap out tonight to see what happens

Turns out it is one of the power supply fans :( at least not CPU!! :D

havent gotten to the bottom of the sound card, i got another one i may swap out tonight to see what happens

Good to hear :D, hey would you mind giving me a copy of those drivers you got ? >_>
Apparently I picked up another platinum card, for the life of me I can't find the right drivers for windows vista sp2 windows 7 x86 download.

Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom