CPU Questions for a Build?

Thorax_the_Impaler

Minecraft Veteran
Hello fellow techies!

So I have a question for you experienced computer builders. I see that the i3 3220 has been recommended for gaming rigs left and right, but in all seriousness, what's the true advantage to something like an i3 3220 against say, an i5 3570K processor? I mean, the i5 in this case is clocked slightly higher per core (every .1GHz counts), and there are two extra cores. Plus, you can overclock the i5. It's true that the other two cores may not be in use during some games and other tasks but even when they aren't in use the aren't hindering overall performance right? I know it's not as simple as mores cores=more power but why take an i3 to an i5? What's the advantage of the i3 that the i5 doesn't have?

Thanks in advance for all answers! They are always greatly appreciated. :)

an i3 is cheaper. if you have a budget, you need to cut somewhere. if 2 cores will more than do the job, then you arent cutting yourself short for gaming. 4 cores is gravy.

an i3 is cheaper. if you have a budget, you need to cut somewhere. if 2 cores will more than do the job, then you arent cutting yourself short for gaming. 4 cores is gravy.

I wasn't really trying to imply that you're cheating yourself in any aspects by getting an i3; I was more or less asking if there was any clear advantage to it; though I should've mentioned I knew price was a factor and for that I apologize.

The only reason I recommend the i3 so much is because most people here have a 1000 dollar or less budget. Going from the i5 to the i3 is the biggest downgrade you wont notice performance in while dropping the most cash. If you dropped say, a 670 to the 660 you'll notice a big hit in FPS. Going from the i5 to the i3 you wont notice it. That's the advantage. There is no performance advantage in taking the i3 over the i5. It's purely monetary based.

If you look at any other non gaming rigs I downgrade the opposite. I just downgrade where performance doesn't matter that much and the CPU in gaming builds can be dropped without a considerate hit in performance.

The only reason I recommend the i3 so much is because most people here have a 1000 dollar or less budget. Going from the i5 to the i3 is the biggest downgrade you wont notice performance in while dropping the most cash. If you dropped say, a 670 to the 660 you'll notice a big hit in FPS. Going from the i5 to the i3 you wont notice it. That's the advantage. There is no performance advantage in taking the i3 over the i5. It's purely monetary based.

If you look at any other non gaming rigs I downgrade the opposite. I just downgrade where performance doesn't matter that much and the CPU in gaming builds can be dropped without a considerate hit in performance.

Makes sense. Usually people have a set saved budget, which I understand. I was beginning to get under the impression that unused cores hindered maximum performance.

Makes sense. Usually people have a set saved budget, which I understand. I was beginning to get under the impression that unused cores hindered maximum performance.
They are just leeway and better for WIndows to offload background tasks to. Don't forget, the i3 has HT so it has 4 threads and 2 cores. The biggest difference being the 3570k is 229 and the 3220 is 129.

They are just leeway and better for WIndows to offload background tasks to. Don't forget, the i3 has HT so it has 4 threads and 2 cores. The biggest difference being the 3570k is 229 and the 3220 is 129.

HT is always nice, but you'd only recommend the i3 over the i5 based on someone's budget correct? Let's say their budget allowed for that extra $100, would you recommend it then?

For instance, if it's strictly gaming, the performance increase would still come from more GPU. 100 bucks is the difference between 670 and 660ti, or i3 and i5. ****, if I was building a rig right now and had the cash with NO PC parts I would grab a 680 and the Pentium 2120 if I had to.
To iterate my seriousness, I'm currently looking for a buyer for my 3960x. I'm looking at getting a 680 to put on my first gen i5.

Back
Top Bottom