New gaming system

FPS guy

Solid State Member
I need a new system. Mostly for gaming. I think I will base it on the i5-3570k. I am open to suggestions.

I have a 5870 graphics card that I think I will use for a while, so no need
for advice there unless it's worth it for me to sell it and get a new card.

So I'll need Windows, a motherboard, RAM, power supply, case, optical drive, an ssd and whatever else I might be forgetting.

Ideally, I'd like to stay under $1000. I like getting the most bang for my buck.

Last edited:
Since the computers use will mainly be gaming you wont necessarily need an i5 CPU, I imagine an i3 will do great. I'm operating From an iPod so I can't exactly link you stuff, but I'm sure somebody will when they wake up. You'll need stuff like 8GB of RAM, Gigabyte Z77 or B75 Motherboard. Don't know much about your 5870 Graphics card but I'm assuming a 2GB EVGA GTX 660Ti or a 670 Will be better, and if you're willing to sell your 5870(Depending if the two I listed are better) Then that will help your budget. A good model Corsair 650W PSU, Corsair Carbide 300r Case, comes with one 140mm Fan and one 120mm one, however you can always upgrade to bigger or add more in seeing as they're Fairly cheap. Windows 7 Home Premium, If you only want an SSD Then look at a 128/240GB SSD, preferably a good make like Intel or Samsung. If you dont have a Hard Drive or not wanting one, it wouldn't hurt to buy a cheap 1TB one. Optical drives are only 20 Dollars so that's ok.

Last edited:
Better off upgrading the GPU. 5870 is kind of weak in terms of modern gaming. I mean, my fiance gets by with a 5850 but she doesn't really game hardcore or even turn the settings up.

You can get an i3 3220 based rig with a GTX 660ti for under 1000. Would be better than getting the 3570k and hanging on to your 5870.

Mguire, just thinking, wouldn't it be a waste to spend $$$ on a Z77 board when he doesn't have an overclockable CPU? I guess a B75 board would be fine for his needs.
Also, he mentioned he wanted an SSD in the OP, you might wanna include that :p.

He could always get one later. Was just there and I clicked it. An SSD would require dropping the CPU and board. It's up to the OP whether or not he wants to go this route.

I can get an i5-3570k at Microcenter for the same price as the i5-3330 at Newegg. Should I go that route?

The motherboard you listed seems rather unreliable according to Newegg reviews. Thoughts?

I'd definitely like a high-quality ssd and am willing to pay for it.

Windows 7 instead of 8? Why?

GPU looks good. I might use my 5870 for a while first.

I have an older Corsair TX650. Can it be reused? How do I make sure it's up to par? I also have an Antec P182 case. Can I reuse that as well?

Thanks for your help!

I can get an i5-3570k at Microcenter for the same price as the i5-3330 at Newegg. Should I go that route?

The motherboard you listed seems rather unreliable according to Newegg reviews. Thoughts?

I have an older Corsair TX650. Can it be reused? How do I make sure it's up to par? I also have an Antec P182 case. Can I reuse that as well?

Thanks for your help!
1. yes
2. newegg reviews are mostly 10 year olds that step on their motherboard and say DOA DOA im sure that its fine. i have bought a lot of parts in my years, and just about the only rma ive made was a dvd burner 4 or so years ago. i dont think newegg even wanted it back, they just sent me a new one.

3. 7 will be more familiar. 8 is a bit different with the metro interface, though i think you can mod the start button back. go to a best buy or something or other and test it out.

4. the psu is very probably good. my corsair is chugging along just fine. check to make sure that your voltages on the 3.3 5 and 12 and vcore are all within 5%

Thanks for your help!
Jason answered the other questions.
If you want the 3570k instead go for it for the price.
The whole point of the new rig is gaming according to what you said. The most performance will come from your GPU upgrade so sticking with the 5870 is kind of a dumb move.

I don't recommend 8 because it has its problems.

Can I use my Antec P182?

How do I test my power supply to make sure the voltages are correct?

I still need a solid state disc. I might even get 2 in raid 0. Reliability is very important and I am willing to pay extra for it.

The only reason I'd want Win. 8 is to try to be more 'future proof' if that makes any sense. If it just plain sucks, I'll definitely take your word for it and go the Windows 7 route.

Back
Top Bottom