blue screen... hard drive issue???

i checked out your link, what exactly is ubuntu??? and i have another drive that was formatted about a week before i got my new computer parts, and its acting like the drives with os's on them. Plus i dont want to ujpgrade windows cause i got alot of stuff ide like to retrieve from my hard drives, and would rather not get them fdisk'd away

Dustin

Ubuntu is a Linux distribution. You can burn it to a disc or put it on a flash drive (with something like UNetBootin), and boot off of it into a "Live" environment without formatting a drive. From there, you should be able to open up the file explorer and browse your HDD and try to recovery any files you want to keep (which is what I suggested in my original post..).

check your bios: are you running in ACHI mode?
if you are, change it to IDE.
Your xp disc doesn't have the necessary drivers for running in achi mode (hence the hard drive bsod - same goes for Win7 install too).
Once you get in the OS though, you'll be able to load the proper drivers so ACHI mode will work.

Last edited:
So I got Ubuntu on my computer on my freshly wiped drive, but now how do i get windows installed/fixed on my computer from here? i can go back and put one of my drives that isn't working (anymore) back in, and try to fix it, I just dont know how to get there, and all of my searching isn't netting any results.

I have no problem reading and learning how to do things, I just dont know/can't find any resources.

thank you
Dustin

Back
Top Bottom