Im trying to upgrade my computer and I need all the help I can get!

Joshking122

Baseband Member
We'll I'm just a 14 year old PC gamer and need all the help I can get to upgrade my Tower... First things first. I am a little Nooby at computer tech so if you abreviate or use any computer part names or language please tell me what it means! Helps me alot! Alright we'll I was checking my bank account and I have approx $400 stacked up. I was thinking what I should do with it.. and why not upgrade my computer? I am a PC Gamer and wan't a very high end PC for my gaming I wan't it as good as possible to play all the new Generation games coming out and that are out. I wan't to upgrade it to where I can play GTA 4, Battlefield 3, Black Ops 2, Hitman Absolution, Tomb Raider, Need for Speed, all of those new releasing games on high Graphics max'd out no lag exuses at all! And I'm preety sure I can do that with $400 dollars...

NOW LET ME GIVE YOU THE SPECS OF MY CURRENT DESKTOP

Model Name - HP Pavillion p7 - 1126s pC
Hard Drive Capacity - 1TB (919 GB) Currently have 370GB left.
Processor - AMD A8-3800 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics 2.40GHz
Installed Memory(RAM) - 6GB (5.48 usable)
64 Bit - Operating System
Video Card - AMD Radeon HD 6550D Graphics (Dedicated Video Memory is 512MB)
Operating System - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

-----------------------------------------------------------------

PROCESSOR I WAS THINKING OF GETTING
Now.. I was really thinking of getting this Processor for my Desktop right here. Newegg.com - AMD A10-5800K Trinity 3.8GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket FM2 100W Quad-Core Desktop APU (CPU + GPU) with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon HD 7660D AD580KWOHJBOX It's really good in my view has a 4.2GHz Turbo Boost but you guys might know a better deal than me. By the way its on special and it ends the 30th of January

(I'm not really sure If I should upgrade my RAM tell me if I should..)

VIDEO CARD
Thinking of getting this one.. Newegg.com - MSI R7770-PMD1GD5 Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

I don't know what else I will need to upgrade I'm a noob at this. I heard getting a new CPU depends on your PSU and motherboard and motherboard has to fit all your parts idk.. I really need some help.. maybe you guys could list down the parts I could get and tell me what I need to know.. I just need some help really... EXTRA HELP

Your CPU should be fine for now. If you only have 400 dollars and want to max games out then you should concentrate on GPU instead.

You want to learn, know this, games are 99% GPU. If you have a good CPU to back up a good GPU then you'll be fine. The 3800 isn't a bad quad core and will be fine.

For the budget, you wont be able to max everything if you have a 1080p monitor. Your budget calls for a new PSU (which you need) and a card in the 660ti area.

The best possible upgrade for your machine would be this combination. The higher end PSU (power supply) will allow you to further upgrade later on without needing anything bigger or better. So if you decide to build a whole new computer for whatever reason you can continue to reuse this PSU.

Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply

This GPU is much better than the 7770 and even edges the 7950.
Newegg.com - EVGA 02G-P4-3660-KR GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Your RAM is fine.

Another reason why a CPU is out of the question is because first you need the bigger PSU, and second that 5800k requires a new motherboard. For that price, you could get a much better Intel setup and the combined parts will cost you around 700 bucks. 400 is just enough to get you the two pieces I linked and will play games really well.

So with just this PSU and Video Card I'll be set to go? Or am I going to need to buy a new Processor in the future..

Last edited:
I won't say you'll definitely need to as I don't really know, but you'll more than likely have to upgrade a Few parts, but that won't be For at least a Few years. Take it From Mguire, without trying to sound like too much of a suck-up, he really does know what he's talking about. Considering your needs being Gaming only, you don't need a CPU(Processor) or RAM update or anything like that, like Mguire said with your 400 Dollars you should only Focus on buying a better PSU(Power Supply Unit) and a GPU(Graphics Card) The 660Ti is superb and will allow you to play most, If not all games on max settings and maintain good FPS with minimal lagg.

Alright thank you =) I will post a new thread in the future when ever I decide to buy the parts so I can get some advice on how to install them to my tower. And thank you for Clarrifying what all that stuff means guys :)

On another note, when you add a better PSU and graphics card, you'll probably want to increase the air flow inside the case to keep that newer GPU cool. Looks like your case can take an extra fan on the front, You can get a decent fan for for less than $10. and it would be a good investment for better air flow
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03359399.pdf

PP Mguire posted a nice video card but with OEM cases, check to be sure that 9.5" lenth card will fit o.k. inside your case

Last edited:
HP lists the actual specifications on their site and the only differences made are the CPU, RAM, and GPU for slightly different models. The 660ti itself with a reference cooler is actually quite short and will fit in most all cases that are mATX and mITX.

Back
Top Bottom