Adding an IDE HDD

moronninja

Beta member
So, i have a computer with a 30 GB IDE HDD, I bought a new SATA 1TB HDD. I unplugged the IDE and reinstalled windows with the SATA so that i could run the system off a faster device. I set the jumper to slave on the IDE, and now my computer will not recognize the IDE HDD. Is there any way to have both co-exist on the same computer?

Just for clarification, SATA drives don't require jumper settings like IDE so therefor you didn't need to change the jumper on your original drive. With a jump from 30GB to 1TB I don't see the point in having the old dinosaur in your machine anymore.

The SATA and IDE controllers are totally separate so the IDE drive cannot be a slave to a SATA drive.

An IDE channel can support 2 drives, 1 master and 1 slave. Since you only have a single drive on the IDE channel, it needs to be set to Master (or master without slave) in order to work.

I agree with PP Mcquire about why you would want to install the 30G dinosaur but my guess is you probably just want to connect it temporarily to copy data from it?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom