Budget personal computer

For the stated uses of the computer, this build is way overkill. No need for 8G of RAM, no need for ssd, no need for a 600W PS, no need for sound or video cards, integrated sound and video would be more than enough.

Personally, if it were my dad, I would steer him toward a netbook or even a tablet both of which would be able to handle the stated tasks and would show a performance improvement over his existing 10 year old desktop.
That maybe true however there's only so much you can do on a Tablet given the size. I personally would only ever buy a Laptop/Netbook if it was For extremely light tasks such as occasional web browsing and light social networking etc. So addressing the needs maybe you should be looking at a Laptop/Netbook, once again given the needs you can pick up a reasonable Notebook at almost anywhere, however For Electronic devices I'd visit Maplin, Currys or PC World. Plus you'd only have to spend in the region of £300-400.

For the stated uses of the computer, this build is way overkill. No need for 8G of RAM, no need for ssd, no need for a 600W PS, no need for sound or video cards, integrated sound and video would be more than enough.

Personally, if it were my dad, I would steer him toward a netbook or even a tablet both of which would be able to handle the stated tasks and would show a performance improvement over his existing 10 year old desktop.

I understand its beyond overkill but my dad's other choice would be some $500 dell with a $150 tech support plan and $100+ for the SSD he believes that he needs. Also, I am certain he will greatly prefer a desktop to a hand held device.
I almost completely forgot to mention he brought up a touchscreen but it is so hard to tell when my father is joking or not...

I know it may seem like half this rig is a waste of money but I feel the need to build something more than capable based on the fact that his current pc is such an absolute joke. The 8 gb is huge though, I realized he would be just fine with 4 or even less.

I'd say go with a different case. For $80 you can get a much much better one, For example a Corsair 200R For only $50. Or if you're wanting to spend $80 on a Case, I'd say go with the Corsair 300R case, it's a little pricey at $90 But my guess is it's a lot better than the one you chose. Like you said you can just ditch the 8GB and drop down to a 4GB RAM saving you around $20. If you're wanting an AMD CPU I'd recommend the A10 5800k, it's only around $10 more but For the performance enhancement I'd say it's well worth the extra. But if you're only wanting reviews/advice From people who know what they're talking about and have knowledge to back up what they say then just ignore this post.

I'd say go with a different case. For $80 you can get a much much better one, For example a Corsair 200R For only $50. Or if you're wanting to spend $80 on a Case, I'd say go with the Corsair 300R case, it's a little pricey at $90 But my guess is it's a lot better than the one you chose. Like you said you can just ditch the 8GB and drop down to a 4GB RAM saving you around $20. If you're wanting an AMD CPU I'd recommend the A10 5800k, it's only around $10 more but For the performance enhancement I'd say it's well worth the extra. But if you're only wanting reviews/advice From people who know what they're talking about and have knowledge to back up what they say then just ignore this post.

I only picked cooler master because that is what I built mine and my brother's computers with and I figured it would be more familiar, thus more easy.
What are the benefits of the 300r vs the cooler master I listed?

Newegg.com - AMD A10-5800K Trinity 3.8GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket FM2 100W Quad-Core Desktop APU (CPU + GPU) with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon HD 7660D AD580KWOHJBOX

It's better and $115 with a promo code that expires 1/30
I would definitely get it!

Assuming he wont be doing too much on his comp, here is a $10 cheaper SSD that is good
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233191

This PSU is better, the one you linked has a **** ton of wires, this one is atleast partially modular, and it's efficiency is 80-85% and the one you listed is 70% so really your getting more power with this PSU even though its less power.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016

Also If you really want a sound card I am sure a 20$ card is a great deal better than your integrated audio seeing as a 20$ card is a third of the price of that mobo. Maybe this, I didn't check to see if it is compatible tho
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829130002

Last edited:
I don't have time right this minute to link parts, but a much better solution for longevity and quality would be something like this.

i3 3220
ASRock B75 motherboard
8GB DDR3 1600MHz
The SSD linked in Steve's post
Seasonic MK2 520w modular PSU
and a cheap Gigabyte midtower case.

All of this will do way over what your dad wants and last a long while.

Back
Top Bottom