what flaws do i need to upgrade on my PC?

Marth8000

Beta member
hello, I've only just joined and was hoping to get some help concerning my computer, first here's a general run down of my systems specs.

OS Windows 8 64-bit
I7-3770 CPU @ 3.40Ghz
16Gb RAM (not sure if you'll need more info than that)
DirectX11
Nvidia Geforce GT640

sooo lately I've been playing allot of games on this fairly new PC, BF3, Skyrim, DoW2 etc,etc, and I decided to try out FarCry 3 only to notice the FPS completely slogged, forcing me to change all the settings to lowest to even get past the opening cutscene!, while the others worked with mixed results at medium to high settings but at least playable.

I've been checking the System specs for Farcry 3 and I seem to have the recommended specs. so i'm left feeling what the fack?, the only thing I've really seemed to notice after some looking into is a difference between the GT and the GTX Geforce graphics cards. but I figured I should ask you guys first before buying an expensive graphics card and if that is the only flaw? in this computer for gaming.

the gt 640 is a dated video card. You'll need to upgrade to something much more new and powerful.

Can you determine what model power supply your computer has?

how much money do you have to do an upgrade?

wasn't quite able to find out about the power supply for it, however in hindsight I should have just mentioned that it is literally store bought, HP ENVY h8-1485, I recall hearing it was built to easily allow upgrading etc, so I'm hopeful that would be fine. and i'm within about a £200 price range i'd say, and thanks! at least now I know for certain what needs changing.

on another note I just checked the PC world online store for the Model, specifically the graphics card caught my eye, claiming to already be a "GTX 640" however diagnostic tool on mine lists only a GT 640, comparing with a GeForce main website there isn't a 640 X model listed, the next one up I see is a GTX 650 so hopefully I won't appear to much of a noob here but either they've very recently updated to some obscure, limited edition card or I got the short end of a stick >.<

HP site says GT 640, (there is no GTX 640) but either way both cards suck pretty hard and don't compliment the 3770 well. The same page says you have a 460w PSU which is only good enough to power a 650ti. To play games like Farcry 3 you will need a minimum of around the 660 to crank the settings up which requires a 450w quality PSU.

Back
Top Bottom