Budget Gaming PC

2 gpu's =/= double the power.

between newer silicon, architecture, and drivers, a newer single card will outperform 2 weaker cards.

Oh, I wouldn't even know how to raise or lower the Frequency.. And when I said no need to be sarcastic I mean't when you said "Even though it will be the only 60GB in your machine" Like you said it's hard to tell if people are being straight up or sarcastic cause it's in writing, I apologise if you it wasn't sarcasm though. I think I'm going to have to go over all the parts again and check the total cost. I take it that SLI means dual GPU? If so, For the price of £180 that the GTX 660 costs, I could afford something like 2 1GB EVGA GeForce GTX 650's? I say I can afford to have 2 Graphics cards, which yeah in a way I can. But if having one 2GB GTX 660 would be better than having 2 of any other Cards then please say, as I wouldn't have a clue. For example though, stuff like the Performance Radeon HD 7850 with has 1024 Cores For £128.14 and I'm sure I can Find another AMD GPU For the remaining £55 Or For example the GTX 650Ti which has 768 Cores For £135 and again I'm sure I can Find another cheap GPU For the remaining £50, what do you think? c:
FOr Nvidia you need to like chips so a 650ti needs to be in SLI with another 650ti so double the cost. A 660 will still outperform and be cheaper than any lesser dual card solution.

Oh alright, Fair enough. I actually need to go over all my parts again and re-add up the total and see if anything can be reduced or swapped For a cheaper part, cause I'm really wanting a 660Ti.. I watched Newegg's YouTube video about the 660 Superclocked and in the video they compared it with the 660Ti, The 670 And the 680. And I'm sure I don't need to tell you this but there's quite a big step up From the 660 to 660Ti in terms of general performance and graphics. Like you said though with your step down you're only experiencing little FPS change, so I guess the question is, is the 660Ti really worth the extra £30 or so Pounds.. I'll edit this post with the rounded Total cost.
Intel Core i5 3470 CPU =£145
Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H ATX Motherboard = £70
EVGA 2GB GTX 660Ti GPU = £230
Corsair Memory Vengeance 8GB RAM = £40
Seagate 500GB Barracuda Sata-III 7200rpm HDD = £50
Intel 60GB 330 Series SSD - £55-60
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM Operating System = £70
Corsair Gaming Series 600W 80+ Bronze, ATX PSU = £55
Corsair Carbide 200R Case = £50
DVD Player Stuff: £20
-- Total cost is £785 - 800.`
So much For not wanting to go above £550.. Really not sure what to do to be honest, I was okay with £700 but almost £800.. The price just keeps rising, First it was £550, Then £600, Then £700, now £800.. Any cuts I could do that wouldn't effect performance?

Last edited:
2 gpu's =/= double the power.

between newer silicon, architecture, and drivers, a newer single card will outperform 2 weaker cards.

just wondering why? can someone explain? I mean it makes sense to me 2X the card means 2X the performance, I have always wondered why it doesn't work like that? is there a bottleneck somewhere? even on super enthusiast builds?

Oh alright, Fair enough. I actually need to go over all my parts again and re-add up the total and see if anything can be reduced or swapped For a cheaper part, cause I'm really wanting a 660Ti.. I watched Newegg's YouTube video about the 660 Superclocked and in the video they compared it with the 660Ti, The 670 And the 680. And I'm sure I don't need to tell you this but there's quite a big step up From the 660 to 660Ti in terms of general performance and graphics. Like you said though with your step down you're only experiencing little FPS change, so I guess the question is, is the 660Ti really worth the extra £30 or so Pounds.. I'll edit this post with the rounded Total cost.
Intel Core i5 3470 CPU =£145
Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H ATX Motherboard = £70
EVGA 2GB GTX 660Ti GPU = £230
Corsair Memory Vengeance 8GB RAM = £40
Seagate 500GB Barracuda Sata-III 7200rpm HDD = £50
Intel 60GB 330 Series SSD - £55-60
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM Operating System = £70
Corsair Gaming Series 600W 80+ Bronze, ATX PSU = £55
Corsair Carbide 200R Case = £50
DVD Player Stuff: £20
-- Total cost is £785 - 800.`
So much For not wanting to go above £550.. Really not sure what to do to be honest, I was okay with £700 but almost £800.. The price just keeps rising, First it was £550, Then £600, Then £700, now £800.. Any cuts I could do that wouldn't effect performance?
Lol now this is slightly sarcastic, but I did tell you there was a huge difference between the 660ti and 660. Yes, it's well worth the extra.
That being said, you don't need a Z77 board. You could cut down to a B75 board which will run you about 54 bucks and still get the exact same performance while lowering your cost almost 100. (Edit sorry those prices are in USD)

just wondering why? can someone explain? I mean it makes sense to me 2X the card means 2X the performance, I have always wondered why it doesn't work like that? is there a bottleneck somewhere? even on super enthusiast builds?
Because it's how it works. SLI is dependent on CPU clock speed (as in higher GHz helps) to help process and send data fast enough. The biggest problem is scalability and compatibility. Basically what SLI/Crossfire is, is load balancing between 2 GPUs. 1 GPU renders certain parts of the frame, and the other renders another part. It isn't flawless though, so you don't get a 100% increase in performance BUT you get a 100% increase in heat and power draw. It's why I hate dual card solutions because usually for cheaper you can get a better single card with full compatibility.

because it is incredible complicated for 2 cards to play together nicely. there are drivers and imperfect code. they have to work together and be in sync. one will have to wait for the other one.

it's not a linear relationship in performace, but it is in capital drained, power drawn, and heat produced. youre basically always better off to just have one bigger better card.

Lol now this is slightly sarcastic, but I did tell you there was a huge difference between the 660ti and 660. Yes, it's well worth the extra.
That being said, you don't need a Z77 board. You could cut down to a B75 board which will run you about 54 bucks and still get the exact same performance while lowering your cost almost 100. (Edit sorry those prices are in USD)
Lol oh, my bad hehe.. There's also another site that I've discovered called aria.co.uk. When I have the time I'll check the prices and compare them to the other two. I've had a look on Scan and eBuyer though. The Z77 is roughly £70 as I said, and the B75 is roughly £60, so it's only around a Few pounds save after shipping costs. Also, what do you know about the Radeon HD 7870 GPU? I think it's actually roughly around the same price as the GTX 660. That's depending if I get the EVGA version or a PALIT version. And For some reason the PALIT GTX 660 is around £20-30 cheaper For some reason, any theories on why that is? Also again.. Since I'm wanting a Gaming/Film destroyer PC, and I take it From what you've said it really doesn't take much to be able to watch 1080p HD videos, so seeing as I'm wanting a Gaming PC, and just in general to have good looking Graphics on my PC and the Games I play, I guess some of the other components I've chosen could do with downgrading a little. But as of now I haven't really got a clear imagination of what I could downgrade that wouldn't really affect the performance, but still have a dramatic change in price, so maybe you and I could go over parts and see if they can be downgraded, and mainly if it will make a change in price. Yeah I know, again.. -.- It's recommended From Newegg and EVGA/NVIDIA Themselves that despite The 660/660Ti will only need 150-175W of your PSU, it's recommended that you have a 500W PSU or above. And since 500W is the starting limit, I'd like to at least have a 600W just in case. Also, I now kinda know what OC is, mainly being because you told me, and really I don't know why the OC Function wouldn't be standard because as you said, overclocking boosts your GPU's performance or something along those lines, so obviously after knowing how I'd put it on super/overclocked wouldn't it just make sense to keep it overclocked? As the GTX 660's Minimum Boost/Base Clock is the maximum Boost/Base/Clock/Core whatever.. For the standard 660, so For the like extra £5 it really would make sense to just go with the SC version.

Edit: Sorry For my complete noobness, but since I've always had Integrated Graphics. Will having a Graphics card and a good one at that give me better general graphics For my computer, or does a GPU only affect Graphical content in Films and Games etc?

Last edited:
No to the 7870.

Palit is cheaper because they are a 3rd party brand and eVGA is more of a US brand so imports are more expensive.

The 660 itself only needs a 450w PSU as recommended by Nvidia, and the 660ti + i5 combo would barely take 300w together at full load. A 500w would be fine, but you already have selected a 600w GS Corsair.

I wouldn't bother with the SC version if you are looking to lower the cost. It really isn't worth the extra money.

Back
Top Bottom