Total rookie needs help from psycho designer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Selfhelp

Beta member
A designer who I used to finish up some work on my website and on my forum (vbulletin) is acting very strange and I want him out of the picture. He has been deleting posts and editing things I say when I paid for this work...I believe he is hosting the Vbulletin forum off of his own computer somehow. This is the forum and the URL is strange and I believe hosted off his computer (but I don't know how to tell or how to change this) - http://selfhelp.servebeer.com/
I am the admin on the board however so I am assuming I could change this but I don't know how? I know how to use my FTP program to change the news section of my site - http://www.sacredselfhelp.com

Ideally, I would like to add the forum on to my server with doteasy who my site is hosted by. Or anything else to get him out of the picture so he can not mess with me anymore..
Any help would be appreciated!!!
thanks
-Derek

Ideally, I would like to add the forum on to my server with doteasy who my site is hosted by.

selfhelp,

Does your host provider provide sql support. If so, you can have your own forum [phpbb - a open source forum ] Its damn good and easy to setup. Incase, you need the data to be transfered from your old forum ,just export your database [shld be in the admin configuration panel ] and import them into your new forum.

If your hosting doesnt support sql, you can use free dedicated forum servers like http://www.armleg.com and use the link in your site.Ofcourse you get some google ads with the forum ,but its no big deal.

Thank you so much for your suggestions. Update on the message board...the 'psycho' designer has removed the message board completely from my site. I did however make a backup of the message board prior but I'm unsure if I could even use this for anything? However, I have some questions. How can I find out if my host supports sql? (my site is hosted by www.doteasy.com if that helps) Also, what is sql, mysql, PHP and PHPbb? Could somebody please explain these to me so I can try to get a better grasp at what I'm dealing with. One more thing, I believe the 'psycho' designer was hosting it off of something called 'servebeer.com' which I totally don't understand either. I've typed in servebeer.com in to google.com and noticed that many people host their sites off of this servebeer.com. I'm curious if anybody knows anything about that and how it works?
One more thing? I know that I have a lot of questions but I am really untrained in this but I believe intelligent enough to handle creating a PHP message board on my own. Regardless, after I DL'd the simplemachines installation I unzipped it & it says to run the install.php file. However, the only option to open this file is with wordpad which opens up into something like this:

"$GLOBALS['current_smf_version'] = 'smf_1-0';

$GLOBALS['required_php_version'] = '4.1.0';
$GLOBALS['required_mysql_version'] = '3.23.4';

// Initialize everything and load the language files.
initialize_inputs();
load_lang_file();

echo '<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html>
<head>
<title>', $txt['smf_installer'], '</title>
<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript" src="Themes/default/script.js"></script>
<style type="text/css"><!--body
font-family: Verdana, sans-serif;
background-color: #D4D4D4;
margin: 0;
}body, td{font-size: 10pt;
div#header background-color: white;
padding: 22px 4% 12px 4%;
font-family: Georgia, serif;font-size: xx-large; border-bottom: 1px solid black;height: 40px;}div#content{padding: 20px 30px;
}div.error_message{border: 2px dashed red;
background-color: #E1E1E1;margin: 1ex 4ex;padding: 1.5ex;
}div.panel{border: 1px solid gray;background-color: #F0F0F0;
margin: 1ex 0;padding: 1.2ex;"

etc. etc. However, I don't understand what this is or what I would do with this? Can somebody also attempt to explain this to me as well. Thank you so much once again for your help. I really hope I can get a message board on my site soon with no adverts on it. I mean, after dealing with ezboards abrasive ad techniques and then switching to Vbulletin for a short period of time, I really want an equivalent message board to something of vbulletin. Thanks again for any help or advice you may offer!
-Derek

phpBB is just like vBulletin, Invision, SimpleMachine... they are just different forums.

You need to ask you host if they support PHP and MySQL. Both are required for most forums (phpBB, SMF, Vbulletin)

You can also test if they support PHP your self by uploading a file with the following code:

Code:
<?php 
   phpinfo(); 
?>

put this in notepad and save it as something.php

then upload to your server and open it in your browser. You will get an info page if your server supports PHP.

There are different SQL databases, there's MySQL (from Delphi I think) and PostgreSQL.
MySQL is a way to save info, a database. THe forum uses it to store everything (your profile, messages etc)

You cannot open the install.php or any other php file on your own computer unless you are running a server with PHP. You need to upload it to a server wich supports PHP first.

You can only edit the PHP files on your computer (with notepad or dreamweaver etc)

When you open a php file like tech-forums/profile.php the code (as you see when u open the install.php file in notepad) is executed by the tech-forums server and a simple HTML file is beeing sent to your browser. That why you do not see anything but code when you open a php file from you local harddisk in your browser

This helps tons. Basically like a mini-course in PHP. Thanks. I have to leave to work right now but I will try your test later tonight and reply. However, if it does not support PHP does anybody know what 'servebeer.com' is? I believe the 'psycho' designer was hosting off of that previously.

Thanks again..

THANK YOU THANK YOU

After investigating the no-ip site I have a much clearer idea of how that all works..Hey Major...yer a good fellow..thanks so much..I think I can do this from here...I should have my board up in no time....
Thanks again for all the assistance..
-Selfhelp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom