New system build. What do you think?

xerolen

In Runtime
Here is what I'm getting for a build to game off of. let me know what you guys think.

4x Crucial Balistix Sport 8Gb DDR3 1600----$42.99
1x APEVIA 800 watt PSU---$59.99
1x MSI 970A-G46 AM3+ AMD 970 USB 3.0 ATX Mobo---$79.99
1x Zalman LQ-310 Water Cooler---$67.99
1x WD 2TB Green HDD 64Mb Cache 7200 RPM---$109.99
1x AMD FX-8320 3.5Ghz Octocore (8-core)---$179.99
2x XFX CORE-Edition FX777A-ZNF4 Radeon HD 7770 Ghz Edition 1Gb GDDR5---$129.99
1x BitFenix Colossus White Window / Blue LED / White Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case---$149.99

total---$1079.88+ S/H

I already have my 1st graphics card so I'm just getting a second Radeon HD 7770

For starters, there is no reason to have 32GB of RAM. Trust me, I have a 32GB set of Patriot, and a 64GB set of Kingston meant for the 3960x. I'm using my 8GB set because there is no point. Besides gaming I do a lot of Photoshop and video editing now. Neither of which have needed more than 8GB of RAM.

Secondly, no to that PSU. It's junk. Go to the Johnnyguru site and look up his review of the Apevia Warlock or whatever it is. Supposed to be their "high end" model and it's junk. Wattage != quality.

Next, unless you have a faster HDD or SSD for your OS and other programs I wouldn't get a Green drive. They are slower RPM wise and are meant for data storage and low power usage. Typically they are marked "Intellispin" or mismarked as 7200RPM but 90% of them run at 5400RPM and speeds reflect that.

Next, the whole AMD setup. For a grand you can get a 3570k and 660TI setup that will outperform what you currently have selected. I think it'll even do better than the 7770 Crossfire. If 2 6970s get outdone by a single 680 then I'm pretty positive a Crossfire 7770 setup wont match a 660ti which is better than a GTX 580.

The FX series is rather pointless with the price point of the 3570k IMO.

Edit: I'll say this, if a quality 650w can power a GTX690 then you for sure don't need an 800w PSU to power a pair of 80w cards.

Well I'm not an expert so you can wait for an expert like PP Mguire to confirm my words.
First of all where are you buying?
1)Apevia, I've never heard of that brand? I'd get something like Corsair, Antec or SeaSonic. Also 800 Watt PSU is overkill for what you're gonna do, you need only 750W for crossfired 7970's, so with 7770's you should need less. According to AMD, you need 600W for crossfired 7770. I think you'll be good with a Corsair TX650W but I'm not 100% sure, you need confirmation on this.
2)You only need 8 GB currently for gaming, 4x8GB is way overkill for gaming. You should get a max of 16 GB if you wanna get over 8 GB, but you don't need to. IF you're gonna go 8 GB, you should get a kit of 2x4GB not a single 8GB ram.
3)You don't need a water cooler unless you're gonna do some serious overclocking.
4)I believe you'll be better in gaming with an Intel CPU than an AMD CPU. You don't need 8 cores for gaming, and you won't need to for a long time to come I believe.
5)The board you chose isn't the best board for crossfire, it has two PCIe 2.0 ports, one is x16 and one is x8. I think that x8 PCie 2.0 will be a bit bandwith limiting. Also I'd go for a single GPU over a dual GPU solution unless you really wanna use your old 7770.
EDIT : Too late of a reply lol.

Thing is I am using this as not just gaming but that will be the primary purpose. I will also be running Virtual machines off it so I need plenty of RAM to share. The reason I am using the WD 2Tb is I need a space for mass storage. I have a 1TB velociraptor from my old machine that had the motherboard and the PSU burn out from Overclocking. I wanted the 2x 7770 because I need to be able to support 4 monitors for and Eyefinity setup. My neighbor moved and he had 4x HP 22" monitors he sold to me for $200. I want an AMD Octo-Core for the Virtual machine ability to be able to dedicate a specific amount of cores to each VM. What would you suggest for a PSU with 800 watts at the very least?

How many virtual machines do you plan to run, and what do you plan to run in these VMs?

Any 6 series Nvidia GPU supports 4 monitors each. If you plan to run Eyefinity or 2D Surround you will want higher power cards than either the 660ti or Crossfire 7770. Well, at least to run high settings at 1080p x3. A single 680 struggles with 3 monitors, so neither midrange GPU setup will do what you want to do maxed.

You don't need 800w at all.

Try to remember, an FX CPU doesn't have 8 true cores. You would get better performance with 8 threads on a 3770k.

I plan to run a few constantly. For whats running is a special linux distro that my friend customized and made. All I am going to say is it will be in need of the Octo-Core. I already own 1 of the 7770's so I am not going to go out and buy another graphics card and not use the one I have. They won't be running at 1080p sadly they are a bit older and don't support 1080p natively. I need the 800 because I have 2 bluray drives I' m putting in along with a few special case controllers I'm putting in.

It's not a true 8 core, you'd be wasting your money but to each his own. You also don't need an 800w PSU when both your GPUs will total 160w worth of usage and your CPU about 200w. 360w peak usage on an 800w means nothing else you add will use up that much. BD drives don't take anymore than 30w while burning and HDDs typically don't take anymore than 15w a piece while under load.

If you must waste money then the only ones I can suggest are the Corsair TX/HX/AX 850, the AXi 860, or a Seasonic equivalent. It's going to be pricey because of the quality of the unit.

As to the already purchased 7770, you could sell it and put it back in your wallet for something else later.

I know this may sound like I am acting either like a jerk or childish and I would like to apologize before hand but I do like my 7770. I have had it for a bit and It has served me well. I don't want to get rid of it. personally I like the XFX series. Thank you for suggesting a quality PSU that's 800 watt.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom